It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 2:36 pm 

In November 2022, sotonsteve wrote:
The A14 is owned and maintained by National Highways.

Suffolk County Council have been purging their SOX lighting for many years. I remember 20 years ago them doing mass lantern swaps of SOX for SON, to the point that SOX was almost only found on National Highways network, who have a reputation nationally for being "behind the curve" in upgrading street lighting compared to local authorities.

Thankfully, there’s also slower progress over the border in Essex, so we also have a few National Highways large-wattage SOX installations that can still be enjoyed to this day.

The best installation that I know of is the circa. 5-mile stretch of Philips MA60s that lights the A13 and A1089 between North Stifford and the Asda supermarket adjacent to Tilbury Docks. After the A1089 junction itself (the Baker Street interchange), the MA60s continue along the A13 towards Stanford-Le-Hope for a further half a mile. There is even another half a mile of additional Philips MA50s between the Asda Roundabout next to Tilbury Docks and the main entrance to the Port of Tilbury. It is highly unusual to see and drive along roads lit with continuous SOX street lighting in the 2020s. It was highly unusual even six years ago when I first posted photographs of the installation on UKASTLE in March 2017!

This installation is still very well-maintained, although there are more lights out than in the photographs from March 2017. The proposed Lower Thames Crossing will significantly re-build the A13 / A1089 Baker Street interchange. If the SOX lighting isn't removed before then, the junction reconstruction will put an end to it.

There are two significant other installations of high-wattage SOX that I know of that are still surviving in Essex. Both are 135W. They are Junction 25 of the A12 and the A120 through the village of Bradwell.

The A12 Stanway Bypass (junction 25 to junction 26) was opened in 1971 and is currently being reconstructed, having reached the end of it serviceable life.

It is certain that Junction 25, which was re-modelled when the bypass opened, will have its remaining SOX lanterns replaced as part of these works. The Prince of Wales Roundabout, which was exclusively-lit with a variety pack of 135W SOX lanterns including a Thorn Alpha Six, was an early casualty of the works in 2023, with the complete replacement of all of its street lighting with new columns and new LED lanterns:

In February 2019, David wrote:
The Prince of Wales roundabout in Mark’s Tey on the outskirts of Colchester is a step back to the 1970s. To this day, it is exclusively lit with 135W SOX lanterns - Eleco GR150s, Philips MA50s, a Thorn Alpha Four and a Thorn Alpha Six.

The Alpha Six is on the single column on the traffic island in the foreground of this photograph taken on Friday night (15th February 2019).

The same view of the Prince of Wales roundabout photographed in May 2023. Unexpectedly, the National Highways re-lighting scheme used lanterns with 3000K LEDs, bucking the trend in this area to use 4000K LED lanterns.

In April 2019, David wrote:
Thankfully there are two Thorn Alpha Sixes that will avoid the Essex County Council cull as they are under the ownership of Highways England. One is on the Prince of Wales roundabout and the other is on the short section of dual carriageway linking both roundabouts that form each side of junction 25 of the A12. Pictures of the Prince of Wales roundabout were included in my post from February 2019.
The one remaining Thorn Alpha Six on the Prince of Wales roundabout in Mark’s Tey on the outskirts of Colchester pictured here adjacent to an ELECO GR150 and a Thorn Alpha Four, which are both day burning. This photograph and the next three photographs were taken in April 2019.

A photograph of the roundabout’s Alpha Six in isolation.

Sadly, this was the penultimate Thorn Alpha Six still deployed in the Colchester area, but it has now been removed from service. We are now down to just one locally-installed Alpha Six.

Another photograph of the exclusively SOX-lit Prince of Wales roundabout in Mark’s Tey taken on Friday night. The 1980s / 1990s trend of boosting lighting levels at important junctions by fitting SON lanterns never happened here!

The same view of the Prince of Wales roundabout photographed in May 2023.

Adjoining the Prince of Wales roundabout is a short stretch of dual carriageway which carries the A120 over the A12. This photograph was also taken on Friday night.

With the exception of a traffic light-controlled pedestrian crossing, this dual carriageway is also lit with 135W SOX lanterns. Many of the lanterns were renewed with new SOX lanterns in January 2012, although the sleeved concrete columns mounted on the bridge parapets were not tackled ... the Thorn Alpha Six on the first column on the left is still extant to this day.

Approximately the same view of the short stretch of dual carriageway which carries the A120 over the A12, photographed in May 2023, and we can see that LED is creeping closer to these SOX lanterns, and the Colchester area's last Alpha Six.

It is also worth noting that the installation really does look like it's on its last legs now, with multiple lanterns out of light.

The Alpha Six is one of the lanterns that is currently out of light.

While the A12 underneath these columns is routinely being closed as part of the carriageway reconstruction works, the opportunity to replace these columns would be too good to miss, and the area's last Thorn Alpha Six will surely be removed from service by the end of 2023.

A little further afield from Colchester, the A120 between Braintree and the A12 underwent a £6 million improvement project in 2017 which saw the replacement of all of the 135W SOX lighting at Mark's Tey as well as the 135W SOX lighting on two of the Coggeshall Bypass's three junctions. Puzzlingly, the SOX lighting at the junction at the western end of the Coggeshall Bypass was retained for a few more years, as was the 135W SOX lighting through the village of Bradwell. Although the junction at the western end of the Coggeshall Bypass succumbed to LED lighting a few years later, the village of Bradwell still had its installation of SOX street lighting the last time I travelled through the village a few months ago.

In February 2017, David wrote:
The A120 passes through Bradwell village, as photographed in May 2014. Before the road was relit, the village was lit with pole-mounted Thorn Beta 5s on every telegraph pole on the other side of the road.

The same view taken at night in April 2019 after the completion of the A120 improvement works. Where columns were replaced, SON-running post-top Philips Iridiums were used, which fitted well into the existing nocturnal street scene.

A photograph of the short stretch of dual carriageway to the west side of Bradwell village, also taken in April 2019 after the completion of the A120 improvement works. Once again, the solution to expired columns in the middle of the dual carriageway fitted in well with the existing nocturnal street scene.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:12 pm 

In July 2021, David wrote:
Stage two, comprising of Colchester and Tendring's council areas, have a combined population of around 341,000 people between them, which represents about 23% of the Essex County Council area. That would suggest it could take about eight months to complete these two council areas, from perhaps February 2022 to perhaps September 2022.

In November 2022, Chezo wrote:
Essex County Council stated rather boldly in 2021 that it was sure to be able to remove most of its discharge lighting by 2024. The program of work started I think in the Basildon region and moved it's way to Colchester. Colchester, starting work at the beginning of the year about February time and with an aim of completion by September.  Keeping in contact with an enthusiast, Essex have only changed by his approximations about 50%  of the residential lamps.

Although the fourth and final phase of Essex County Council’s replacement by LEDs programme has moved on from Stage 2 (Colchester and Tendring) to Stage 3 (Braintree and Epping Forest), there are a surprisingly large number of streets, particularly in Clacton, that have only partially been changed over to LED, or not been started at all. But anyone concluding that there’s still plenty of time to carry on enjoying - or wishing to come and see - mercury-lit streets for the forseeable future are sadly mistaken. The vast majority of the street lights that are yet to be changed over are SOX.

All of Clacton and the surrounding area’s mercury stock - GEC Z5641s, GEC Z5671s and Thorn Gamma Sixes, have been particularly badly hit.  I can think of only three Z5641s that are still in nightly service to the town – one in Windsor Avenue, one in Mountview Road and one in Carlton Park. There may be others of course. One of the three street lamps that I know to still be in nightly service in the town has seen a successful campaign to preserve it by a local enthusiast.

To serve as a record, here are some of the last photographs I took of the town’s GEC Z5641s. Many of the photographs were taken while Stage Two of the fourth and final phase of Essex County Council’s replacement by LEDs programme was rolling out across the town, so they were there one day and gone the next.

This photograph of Carisbrook Avenue was taken in July 2022. These street lights, photographed just 10 months ago, have now been removed from service. The existing concrete columns were retained.

In May 2021, David wrote:
A long view along unadopted Clarendon Park in Clacton-on-Sea showing how the new post-top fits into the street scene.

The column and lantern in the foreground were probably installed around 60 years ago and are still going strong apart from the lantern's yellowed cone. This is also a Tendring District Council lantern, so it may outlast the far greater number of Essex County Council-owned GEC Z5641s that have graced Clacton-on-Sea, Holland-on-Sea, Jaywick and Great Clacton for the last 60+ years.

Although this is a Tendring District Council lantern and was not under immediate threat of removal, it was unable to outlive the Essex County Council’s Z5641s nearby. The 1980s-vintage Royce Thompson thermal cell developed a fault which caused it to stay on all day. This photograph was taken in May 2022.

The street light has now been replaced with a Holophane S-Line LED lantern on the old concrete column. This photograph was taken in June 2022.

In October 2020, David wrote:
This photograph is of the junction of Clarendon Park and Mountview Road, also taken on the same night as the above two photographs. The column in the foreground is in Clarendon Park and the column in the background is column 4 in Mountview Road – the last surviving GEC Z5641 in that road and the lantern Nathan wants to save. The lantern in the foreground is also a GEC Z5641 on a Utility Major column.

The same junction in the daytime. This photograph was taken in March 2017.

The junction as seen at night, with Clarendon Park's new Holophane S-Line in the foreground and Essex County Council GEC Z5641 on Mountview Road in the background. This photograph was taken in July 2022.

This Essex County Council GEC Z5641 has seen a successful campaign to preserve it by local enthusiast Nathan.

The Essex County Council street lighting along Mountview Road switches off at 1am as part of their part-night lighting regime, while the Tendring District Council lantern stays on all night. This photograph was taken a few moments after the one above.

As often mentioned in this topic, Jubilee Avenue in Clacton-on-Sea used to have a complete installation of Z5641s. A photograph of this street in fog from March 2005 is used on my Avatar. The above dusk photograph was taken in November 2017. The street has now been fully re-lit with LED street lights on the old concrete columns.

This night-time photograph of Windsor Avenue in Clacton-on-Sea was taken in May 2022. Sadly, the column closest to the camera has now been removed from service, leaving just one Z5641 lighting this street to this day.

GEC Z5671s – although a decade younger than the Z5641s – are also about to become extinct in Clacton and the surrounding area, but Norwood Avenue is bucking the trend with three in a row and provides a fabulous mercury-lit street scene to this day. This photograph was taken in December 2022, and the installation was still intact when I last visited the road a few weeks ago.

Although Essex County Council’s LED roll-out has moved on to the Braintree and Epping Forest districts, many streets in Clacton-on-Sea and Holland-on-Sea still have incomplete LED installations. This example of an incomplete changeover was taken in Holland-on-Sea in December 2022, and many streets in Holland-on-Sea are still not completed to this day.

Furthermore, many roads have not been started, like this example (Wash Lane) in Clacton-on-Sea. Although this photograph was taken in December 2022, the road and some of the surrounding roads were still untouched when I last visited them a few weeks ago.

Once again, most of Essex County Council’s residential street lighting switches off at 1am as part of their part-night lighting regime. This photograph was taken a few moments after the one above.

With perhaps just three GEC Z5641s in local service as we enter the New Carolean age, it is noteworthy that this lantern first appeared on Britain’s streets in the year of Queen Elizabeth II’s own Coronation in 1953, and they have done a sterling 60+ years of service to Clacton-on-Sea and the surrounding area.  Mike Barford even notes an unfounded theory that the crown-like appearance of the lantern top could have been inspired by Queen Elizabeth II's own Coronation in 1953.

Noting the long service provided to Clacton by the GEC Z5641 from the 1950s to the 2020s, would anyone speculate that the lanterns being installed in the town today will still be around in the 2090s? The above two photographs were taken in Bembridge Close in Clacton-on-Sea in August 2017.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 7:58 pm 

Great photos as ever, and as sad as it is to see the replacements happening, it is also a joy that the old lighting has lasted quite this long. Also impressive to hear how one Z5641 is being retained follow an enthusiast plea. It is very unusual for a council to accommodate such a request.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:46 pm 
Random avatar

Is Norfolk going LED? I noticed a lot of Arcs and Airtraces replaced by Phillips Lumistreet. I have found some articles from early 2021 saying that they replacing 15000 streetlights. Looks like they are going the Dorset way
Replacing higher powered street lighting.
https://www.norfolk.gov.uk/news/2021/01 ... on-in-2021
https://maps.app.goo.gl/9ptTZE7fSK3VuUE68?g_st=ic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:26 pm 
Random avatar

The SOX installation at Marks Tey still survives as of May 2023 GSV. https://maps.app.goo.gl/9E6CL1pjtcrJumFr8?g_st=ic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:23 am 
Random avatar

I'm amazed the Thorn Alpha 6s near Colchester have survived this long. The lanterns are not very common outside of this area. However, I think Essex County Council are in the process of replacing their Alpha 6s as part of their LED replacements. The Highways England owned Alpha 6s are not affected.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:27 pm 
Random avatar

Ro Jo Jnr wrote:
Quote:
Question 5 on page one of this PDF published on this page on Essex County Council’s web site gives a proposed order of installation for the Phase 3 LED roll-out per local authority area, which was correct at the time of publication in March 2018: Maldon, Harlow, Brentwood, Epping Forest, Braintree, Tendring, Castle Point, Rochford, Basildon, Uttlesford, Chelmsford and lastly Colchester. We should note that A13James has previously reported that Castle Point local authority area was converted to LED in circa. December 2017 with Rochford and Basildon quickly following on, and all three of these local authority areas appear after Tendring on the list - Tendring being the home of Clacton-on-Sea and the nearby towns of Holland-on-Sea, Frinton-on-Sea and Walton-on-the-Naze.

I've been doing a lot of work out in Essex recently and can reveal that although this order is correct, there are still quite a few SOX and SON lanterns which have been missed, even on roads which have undergone LED replacement! All of these lanterns are still standing in 2019:

Harlow:

I noticed three MA50s which had been missed:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7539645,0.0927902,3a,17.4y,283.9h,119.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-5RuALeH3qz6anGMMm5X0g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 This one is being replaced by a Phosco P680, but both lanterns still live on!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7558479,0.0907911,3a,17.9y,228.05h,114.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTDU8HDMLMZvYha7M-i8Yjw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 This MA50 is lighting the entrance road to the Great Parndon Community Hall, so there was perhaps a bit of confusion over ownership on this one!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7584312,0.0891165,3a,19.5y,336.59h,105.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJ2t8-2t7LyeO3p9mJ0PqRA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 This one is still clinging on and is surrounded by LED lanterns (not seen in the Streetview)]

Epping Forest

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6064387,0.0832018,3a,15.8y,357.77h,103.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjqPrRoN1Fy5wMjvmAqlrZw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 GEC Z9544 on unsleeved CU concrete column on Fencepiece Road. This lantern is on the border of Epping Forest District Council and the London Borough of Redbridge, which may be what has saved it, although pretty much all SOX lighting has been wiped out in Redbridge, so it's rather odd that this has survived!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6085275,0.0825437,3a,43.5y,348.27h,99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sS6FTcWEP4hg03txQb942IA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 Another Z9544, this time on a steel Stainton column, randomly missed and still in light! All other columns around it have Philips Digistreets.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6092693,0.0823783,3a,45.1y,320.67h,109.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHMOZ67FUixXLagO_qfvIQQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192An MA90 on an unsleeved CU column, again randomly missed! There are two Digistreets after this, again on unsleeved CU concretes, then:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6100198,0.0820153,3a,20.2y,340.62h,101.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sO08Lx_oYB3jo7iIYKcMtFg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192An SGS203 on a sleeved concrete and an Iridium on a Stainton column. What might have saved these lanterns from replacement is they are on top of a steep hill - maybe the work crew didn't fancy going up in the cherry picker! Although, if you spin around, they're missing out on a fantastic view across the Thames to Dartford/Erith!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.64131,0.0838852,3a,40.3y,172.71h,94.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sU6ZnFzji0JOj3At0svJksw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 One double-bracket with MA50s and three Iridiums survive at the junction of Chigwell Lane with the M11. If you spin around, there are a couple of flat-glass SGS203s as well! These being on a motorway junction may have caused confusion between Epping Forest and Highways Agency ownership, although other junctions on the M11 are LED-lit!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6349876,0.0869024,3a,17.6y,249.56h,103.87t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sZE8BgnSeIxZD8hu7vU23bA!2e0!5s20170801T000000!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DZE8BgnSeIxZD8hu7vU23bA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D209.49428%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192 An Arc, only installed in 2017 when the junction was realigned, survives at Rolls Park Corner on the edge of Debden.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6431244,0.0836031,3a,19.2y,65.62h,94.45t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sYKYTgjEuBPdtzxItXf3P1g!2e0!5s20170801T000000!7i16384!8i8192Epping Forest Shopping Park has retained all its Arcs, which, again, were only installed in 2017 and are original to the shopping park.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6467131,0.0812222,3a,16.4y,52.77h,98.82t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sReRXV5qFMD4D_wGvGo5GAg!2e0!5s20170801T000000!7i16384!8i8192 Double-bracket SGS203s have survived both road widening in 2017 and LED replacement in 2018! Debden Broadway still retains it fancy lighting too!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.647267,0.0804595,3a,18.8y,247.88h,114.34t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1slIiUKQFdSZw8fiZw7QV4rw!2e0!5s20170801T000000!7i16384!8i8192Another 2017 Arc missed, just diagonally across the junction from the SGS203s above!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6497511,0.0786588,3a,24.9y,125.13h,114.15t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sjaU0FfxTnOVRx4Q0ifgxkQ!2e0!5s20170801T000000!7i16384!8i8192 An MA90 on an unsleeved CU concrete column. The replacement column has been there for about 10 years and originally had an MA50 installed, but never connected up. The old column was still in light before the LED lantern came along as well!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6519603,0.0764725,3a,17.3y,332.36h,102.99t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sKUY1gwbmoSftfBROWLSW1A!2e0!5s20170801T000000!7i16384!8i8192A Phosco P567, which was a casual replacement for an MA50 a few years ago, still survives! Quite a few of these have been missed across the borough!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6560701,0.0668026,3a,15.5y,61.32h,109.02t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sB1ewSPbvWvPxJFKtUN_GVA!2e0!5s20170801T000000!7i16384!8i8192 An SGS203, which has turned on its bracket, survives opposite Loughton Homebase.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6590049,0.0670502,3a,20y,24.21h,108.14t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1so_WcYpBqSvuUqftfVlvYag!2e0!5s20180401T000000!7i16384!8i8192An MA50 on Golding's Hill is still soldiering on in 2019 and it's still in light! There is quite a steep embankment behind the column, which is probably what has given the lantern its salvation!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6618018,0.0663463,3a,20.6y,359.94h,113.39t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sY9Ao4U-TtzpCMUnVFqK7fA!2e0!5s20180401T000000!7i16384!8i8192 Another further along!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6604229,0.0669473,3a,15y,8.08h,127.8t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1stJ6A5RDRfE-dE5ZO9b394g!2e0!5s20180401T000000!7i16384!8i8192 This GR101, on a badly leaning column which looks to have been hit by a vehicle, has been standing here for a number of years, despite a replacement column (originally carrying an Iridium) being installed and in light for several years before the Digistreet came along!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6995856,0.1119916,3a,15y,236.73h,93.87t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sSsf67QFkcHqAcyZ87xtK6A!2e0!5s20180401T000000!7i13312!8i6656This very lonely-looking Iridium lighting a layby on Epping High Street is still here! This stretch of road is lit by SON floodlights installed on the buildings, which also still live on and are in light!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6558581,0.0389393,3a,31.6y,154.11h,113.24t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s0aEyIh4k2zVtCRYcq4xY6A!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D0aEyIh4k2zVtCRYcq4xY6A%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D234.96219%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192 A single SGS203 has escaped replacement on Cross Roads, just before the Robin Hood Roundabout.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7129875,0.162087,3a,17.2y,352.93h,110.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-F63o2h75kZcLM-GIX_WpQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656Another SGS203 has been missed before a mini roundabout in North Weald.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6485342,0.0553475,3a,15.1y,30.21h,97.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sg96sPwRuIasfb9Qj1Yggow!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 This Eleco HW509 in this council car park still lives on!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6429153,0.0542229,3a,15y,346.85h,99.94t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1shkulkXBmYgOcgpw2cMUSyw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DhkulkXBmYgOcgpw2cMUSyw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D12.195924%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192 This Eleco HW509 is also still kicking, as are the Urbis Saturns on the curvy columns behind!

Brentwood:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6173473,0.2918314,3a,42.7y,163h,113.15t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1syCDcSbORjGrIHB44DuUrhg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DyCDcSbORjGrIHB44DuUrhg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D73.84601%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656 A GEC Z9454 and an MA50 live on at the beginning of Hubert Road, a side road leading into an industrial estate, which has probably saved these from replacement.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6204931,0.2991252,3a,49.2y,49.22h,105.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sictywWVxYhfNVe9hS_5o2g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 A GEC Z9554 and SGS203s still survive in the William Hunter Way car park.

Some of these installations still survive as of the latest Street View.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:31 pm 
Random avatar

David wrote:
JamesC01 wrote:
That's truely tragic about the SOX on the A127 being replaced, I haven't been along that stretch for a couple of months, so haven't seen the new lights yet, but I would presume that they are Lumas? Last Saturday, (25th Feb) I passed over the A127 on the A130 overbridge near Rayleigh, and can confirm that the SOX, and Trafficvisions on the bend immediately to the West were all still in place then.
When I drove along the A127 just over a week ago, the LEDs stopped at the Shell garage on the corner of Hovefields Lane, which is just out of sight of the Fairglen interchange (junction with A130).

On the assumption the street lighting crews doing the conversions are working every weeknight, there is a good chance they will have got through the Fairglen interchange by now and will be well on their way into Rayleigh, upon where they'll reach the Southend Borough Council lighting, which I believe is already converted to LED or is about to be.

With the unbroken SOX lighting on the northeastern quadrant of the M25 removed in various phases in the last few years, the SOX lighting on the A120 Braintree to Colchester road almost certainly under threat of removal, and miles and miles of SOX lighting removed from the A127 in the space of a month, there is now only one substantial installation of large wattage SOX left in Essex that I can think of. All the photographs in this post were taken this week (March 2017).

The 4-mile fully-lit stretch of the A13 between North Stifford and Orsett still retains its original installation of Philips MA60s on the mainline dual carriageway and Philips MA50s on the slip roads.

This photograph and the photograph above were taken looking west (towards London) from the A13's junction with the A1012 (the Stifford interchange).

Note in these and the following photographs how well-maintained the installation is, with very few - if any - lamps out in many of these photographs.

This photograph looks east towards Southend, as viewed from the roundabout over the A13.

Another view looking east towards Southend, as viewed from the A1012 roundabout over the A13.

The view looking west (towards London) from the A1012 roundabout over the A13.

A view looking east towards Southend showing the 180W SOX on the A13 continuing through the junction, and once again well-maintained with nearly every lantern in light.

Another view looking west towards London from the A1012 roundabout over the A13. I can only see one light out!

A similar view looking east towards Southend from the A1012 roundabout over the A13.

A wideangle view of the above photograph looking east towards Southend.

One last view of the Philips MA60s on the A13 continuing through the junction, but this time looking west towards London, and once again everything is well-maintained with every lantern in light.

The next junction on the SOX-lit section of the A13 is a freeflow "trumpet" junction with the A1089 Tilbury Dock Approach Road (the Baker Street interchange) which was built in the early 1980s.

A wideangle view of the above photograph, taken above the A1089 Tilbury Dock Approach Road looking north to its junction with the A13.

Notably, the A13 transfers ownership from Highways England to Essex County Council at this junction, and Highways England's authority continues along the A1089 to Tilbury Docks.

The A1089 Tilbury Docks Approach Road is another treat for large-wattage SOX fans, as it is also lit along its length with 180W SOX which may date back to the road's construction in the early 1980s. Add the Tilbury Docks Approach Road SOX to the short section of SOX between North Stifford and the junction with the A1089 and it adds up to circa. 5 miles of unbroken SOX lighting.

The A1089 Tilbury Docks Approach Road also uses an opposed lighting arrangement in places instead of the more traditional lighting in the central reservation, but once again it is 180W SOX.

The A1089 Tilbury Docks Approach Road near to its junction with the A126 Marshfoot interchange.

Another photograph of the A1089 Marshfoot interchange, looking south towards Tilbury docks (in the background).

The SOX lighting comes to a temporary stop at the Asda roundabout, which sounds like a relatively new addition to the road. The roundabout also heralds the end of the dual carriageway, but the SOX lighting continues along the A1089 south of the roundabout, with the wattage downgraded to 135W.

For any fans of large-wattage SOX out there, I think the A13 between North Stifford and Orsett and the A1089 between Tilbury Docks and its junction with with the A13 could be the last opportunity in Essex to see a large, unspoilt and well-maintained installation of 180W SOX lighting.

Long may it last!

This installation is still there in 2024.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_URmqszvwE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17o4e4L4JjM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:29 pm 

In December 2023, MA50-GO wrote:
This installation is still there in 2024.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_URmqszvwE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17o4e4L4JjM

It's hard to believe that my photographs from the A13 and A1089 in Grays and Tilbury (above) are nearly seven years old. But I can also confirm that the installation is still in place, and it looks like it has even been re-lamped in the intervening years. This installation is doing a lot better than a few of the other National Highways-maintained high-wattage installations around London!

The A13 and A1089 junction will eventually be incorporated into the new Lower Thames Crossing. I wonder if there are enough spare 135W and 180W SOX lamps in the stores to keep this installation going until construction commences.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:44 pm 

In August 2023, Sonsoxman wrote:
The SOX installation at Marks Tey still survives as of May 2023 GSV. https://maps.app.goo.gl/9E6CL1pjtcrJumFr8?g_st=ic

In August 2023, SpeedStar wrote:
I'm amazed the Thorn Alpha 6s near Colchester have survived this long. The lanterns are not very common outside of this area. However, I think Essex County Council are in the process of replacing their Alpha 6s as part of their LED replacements. The Highways England owned Alpha 6s are not affected.

Sadly there is just one Alpha Six left - on the bridge over the A12. It may be removed as part of the A12 Junction 25 to Junction 26 carriageway reconstruction, which offers the rare opportunity to fully close the A12 below the bridge and remove the over-50 year old concrete columns that are mounted on the parapets once and for all.

National Highways have nibbled away at the SOX at junction 25 of the A12 in recent years. Both roundabouts at each end of the dual carriageway has been relit with LED lanterns on new columns, and it's just the short section of dual carriageway between the two roundabouts either side of the A12 that remains as SOX.

Interestingly, most of this short section of dual carriageway was re-lit in 2012 - with new SOX lanterns.