It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:06 pm 

ajm wrote:
Half of them still don't work, I guess it's a power issue.

Let's hope the slip roads a J7 are replaced soon, you could count on one hand the lamps that work.

It's not a mass lamp failure, it is a cable fault affecting two out of the three phases supplying columns in the central reservation and on the slip roads. The slip roads will be getting the Luma treatment very soon, but a whole load of them aren't going to be powering up.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:59 pm 
Random avatar

Bad wording on my part, I meant lantern rather than an actual lamp.  I just didn't think HE were repairing any before they replaced the lot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:56 pm 

ajm wrote:
Bad wording on my part, I meant lantern rather than an actual lamp.  I just didn't think HE were repairing any before they replaced the lot.

They do tend to neglect maintenance when they know some form of replacement scheme is coming up, with the general effect of lots of lamps failing, but cable faults are the overriding issue in this location.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:43 pm 
Site Administration

The west side of J7 still has a supply fault with 2 phases missing, meaning only every 3rd column is lit.

J8 slip roads are now all LED with Lumas replacing the ZX3. The mainline still retains ZX4s above J8 to the start of the lighting east of J8.

There is also a supply fault at J9, the eastbound off slip is unlit, with all columns off.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:51 am 

Overnight the final pair of quad-optic ZX4s on the M27 were removed and replaced with Lumas. The last pair were at the eastern end of the central reservation lit section at junction 8. There are no more ZX4s on the M27, and it is the end of an era for this once distinctive motorway lighting.

Here is the last photo of ZX4s on the M27 in Hampshire, taken just a couple of hours before they were removed.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:36 pm 

The Urbis Sapphires on the central reservation towards the Havant Bypass (A27) are also starting to be replaced by Lumas. The Sapphires on this section are only about 5 years old however they have been treated badly, like most of the lighting on the A27. That section  were all recently dayburning for a few months until all the bulbs had blown!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:57 pm 
Site Administration

The last SON lighting on the M27 main carriageway are the bridge mounted floodlights on the hardshoulder abutments of the B3033 St John's Rd overbridge at J8. These together with the main carriageway columns east of J7, to J8 are still on 24 hours a day - I presume to burn in the new Lumas.

Last wknd the Lumas at J4 between the M3 link roads were finally operating "night only", they had also previously been on 24 hours a day.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:59 pm 

There are still the Urbis RT3 SON floodlights at M27 Junction 4 too.

I believe LED upgrades are in progress on the A27 at Havant.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:23 am 
Site Administration

At J10 of the M27, the slip road ZX3s have finally being replaced following traffic management issues. Holophane V-Max lanterns have been used rather than the Lumas used elsewhere.

There is some improvised and not likely to be long lasting weather proofing fitted to the lanterns as the large spigot was designed for post top mounting rather than fitting to an existing bracket - despite being a "universal fit".

Underside view.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:49 pm 
Site Administration

Literally just 3 years and 1 month since Lumas replaced quad optic ZX4s on the M27 at Junction 7, the columns west of the interchange on the main carriageway have been removed  as part of works for Smartification of the motorway.

The very same columns had several outages due to cable faults, lasting many months, so the Lumas have probably only done about 2 years actual service. Excellent use of taxpayers money.

Profile  Personal album