It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:18 pm 

Hi all,

Here is another great pic of an old Concrete in Carlisle. I think this Pic was taken in the 1970s after the original energy saving scheme to make all lanterns SOX :)

Regards,

Andrew.

Attachments:
CastleWay.png
CastleWay.png [ 743.72 KiB | Viewed 25041 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:46 pm 

Hi All,

I received a photograph this week from one of the street light engineers, the photo was of a Revo Festival which they were called to. The lantern originally stood at the entrance at the front of a school. The school has since been knocked down and a housing estate built in its place however the lanterns and columns remained! They are now in some ones front Garden :)

Regards,

Andrew.

Attachments:
IMG-20170822-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20170822-WA0001.jpg [ 232.1 KiB | Viewed 24987 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:07 am 

That's incredible. Quite a fancy installation for a school anyway, but the fact they still remain is a miracle.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:24 pm 

GreatNorburyStDepot wrote:
halowraith1 wrote:
Anyone happen to know of any SOX lanterns - any model - in the Fylde region and its surroundings? (Blackpool, Fleetwood, Preston, etc.)

It has been a little while since I was in the Lytham St Annes area, however I do recall there were quite a few pockets of SOX lighting, usually on the side streets. The majority were on surviving cast iron gas / 1920s electric columns, often retaining their top entry swan neck brackets. Beta 5s were the staple lantern here although I have noticed there did seem to be a programme a while ago to eradicate SOX with SON. Many of these columns went as a result. Not all bad news though, a quick look at the current GSV indicates that Lowther Terrace in Lytham still has cast iron columns in situ, with both side and top entry beta 5s. Whether this is still the case right now would need further confirmation.

Following a short break in the Fylde area recently, I can now report that the remaining SOX lighting in Lytham plus a lot of SON has since been replaced by LED (unless any of you know different).

The street I mentioned on my previous post - Lowther Terrace did have a few cast iron swan necked columns with Beta 5s, however these have now gone. The new scheme seems to be using Thorn CiviTEQ lanterns on the replacement steel columns. They aren't as obtrusive as other types commonly fitted and blend in to the tree lined streetscene quite nicely. CiviTEQs have become quite widely used in the Fylde area along with a couple of other designs.

SON has also taken a battering on the main roads, with Lytham's MRL6s, ZX2s and surviving mk2 Alpha 8s having been replaced. In most cases though, the red toned Stanton 8D columns still survive, including a few still with their original bracket.

Side streets in nearby Ansdell, have in an earlier scheme been lit by WRTL Stellas. Interestingly, their output at night is reminiscent of the old fluorescent lighting which was popular in these parts.

In Wesham, SON is still around in some quantity although LED is slowly gaining a hold via casual replacements. There are also some IR industria 2600 lanterns used on the side streets which were presumably SON burners, however these appeared to have been relamped recently for LED retrofit lamps. The colour is remarkably similar to MBF, although I would suspect the lantern optics are under utilised.

At the local Aldi supermarket, the access road has been lit with an unusual combination. Swan necked Albany style lanterns fitted atop what look to be 8m columns! The same combination albeit on more appropriate sized posts can be found in nearby Wrea Green village.

Attachments:
File comment: Thorn's CiviTEQ lanterns seem to be the current choice in the Fylde area at the moment. They are quite an unfussy design compared to the Vmax. Here on the outskirts of Chorley is a recently converted concrete column.
DSCF2913.JPG
DSCF2913.JPG [ 1.66 MiB | Viewed 24839 times ]
File comment: A close up of one of the replacement lanterns on Lowther Terrace.
DSCF2895.JPG
DSCF2895.JPG [ 2.26 MiB | Viewed 24839 times ]
File comment: The new columns are set well back from the roadside and blend in quite nicely to the surrounding street scene. The elaborate municipal livery of old has long gone - black paint presumably doesn't upset the bean counters as much!
DSCF2897.JPG
DSCF2897.JPG [ 2.59 MiB | Viewed 24839 times ]
File comment: Very little SON is left on the highways of Lytham these days. Prior to their replacement by LED, the typical SON lantern used in the area was the MRL6 and Trafficvisions, although a few Mk2 Alpha 8s could also be found. In earlier times, Revo Diadems and Alpha 3s were commonly used with mercury being the dominant lightsource.
DSCF2884.JPG
DSCF2884.JPG [ 2.16 MiB | Viewed 24839 times ]
File comment: On the main roads, 1950s Stanton 8D columns continue to do their civic duty. A few still survive complete with their original steep uplift bracket, however the majority had been sleeved in more recent times.
DSCF2871.JPG
DSCF2871.JPG [ 1.3 MiB | Viewed 24839 times ]
File comment: Interesting to see the degree of standardisation which is clearly apparent in this shot of a Stanton 7D column (No.43) with a Revo door. Was it a casual replacement or did Revo undertake "badge engineering"?
DSCF2890.JPG
DSCF2890.JPG [ 2.06 MiB | Viewed 24839 times ]
File comment: The approach to Wesham's Aldi store is flanked by these unusually tall swan neck columns, with Albany styled repro lanterns.
DSCF2857.JPG
DSCF2857.JPG [ 2.06 MiB | Viewed 24839 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:35 pm 
Site Administration

Some great pictures there, good to see the concretes are still soldiering on, even if they are being sleeved. I would have thought though that post top sleeves - rather than outreach brackets would be more appropriate for the optics of a LED lantern.

Re the Revo door, badge engineering may have taken place as I have a similar door in my collection. If Simon Cornwell reads this topic, he may be able to enlighten us on the reason.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:21 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
Some great pictures there, good to see the concretes are still soldiering on...

Thanks for your kind comments, Phosco152.

Lytham is a special place for me because my Aunt and Uncle still live there. I remember visiting them when I was a lot younger. Back in those days, the streetlighting was completely different to here in Cheshire. Hardly any SOX apart from some side roads, and these were mostly on cast iron columns. The bulk of the lighting as we know was MB / MBF mounted on red toned Stanton concrete.

Up until the mid 80s, the B5261 / Common Edge Road to  was lit by GEC Viatrons, with their characteristic green / blue tinted light. Surprisingly, MA50s were used to replace the Viatrons but the Stanton 6Bs were retained complete with original brackets.

In Ansdell, the Forest Drive estate built in the late 60s was lit by 8D mounted Alpha 3s on the main road, with 10F mounted GEC Z5590s on the side streets. In later years, the Alpha 3s were replaced by Mk2 Alpha 8s whilst the side streets were relit with GEC Z8830s on sleeved columns.

Anyway, as you have suggested, the Revo badge engineering does sound plausible. Hopefully Mr Cornwell can "shed some light" on the subject.

Finally, a flick through some more of my pictures shows a surviving Stanton 8D, still with its steep bracket arm. This is to be found on Park Street in Lytham.

Latest news - 10.07.18.

Following a recent visit to Lytham, I have to report that this column has since been sleeved.

Attachment:
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg [ 123.83 KiB | Viewed 22055 times ]

Attachment:
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg [ 88.41 KiB | Viewed 22055 times ]

Attachments:
DSCF2621.JPG
DSCF2621.JPG [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 24807 times ]
DSCF2624.JPG
DSCF2624.JPG [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 24807 times ]
DSCF2625.JPG
DSCF2625.JPG [ 1.96 MiB | Viewed 24806 times ]

Last edited by GreatNorburyStDepot on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:00 am 
Random avatar

I have been watching the CiviTEQ invasion of Lancashire with interest and have to say the way LCC are conducting the replacement scheme with these is frankly bizarre. They seem to have a daily job sheet of roads to replace SON lanterns with CiviTEQs in quite disparate locations (sometimes the roads only have one or two lanterns to replace). Then weeks later they will come back and retrofit CiviTEQs onto another adjacent road and then a few weeks later do the next adjacent road. You would think they would just replace a whole area en masse rather than just doing the odd road at a time here and there in disparate locations.

In Wesham, SON is still around in some quantity although LED is slowly gaining a hold via casual replacements. There are also some IR industria 2600 lanterns used on the side streets which were presumably SON burners, however these appeared to have been relamped recently for LED retrofit lamps. The colour is remarkably similar to MBF, although I would suspect the lantern optics are under utilised.

They did this on the east side of Thornton as well early in 2016 before the CiviTEQ started to appear. Some of these 2600s (and a few SRL8Fs) have since been replaced themselves by CiviTEQs despite working fine which seems a waste of money.

Quote:
At the local Aldi supermarket, the access road has been lit with an unusual combination. Swan necked Albany style lanterns fitted atop what look to be 8m columns! The same combination albeit on more appropriate sized posts can be found in nearby Wrea Green village

These are LED as well.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:16 pm 
Random avatar

Wirral have been busy converting their system over to LED over the last few years. Starting with the main routes, lantern change overs to Urbis Ampera's occurred. No CUs in sight!

Now, they are busy catching up on the backlog of faults which have been experienced.  Again, CU have not played a role in this scheme with Fabrikats and Holophane S-lines being used. Wirral have used Holophane over the years so this wasn't a big suprise, but using Fabrikat was out of the blue given it's been over 20 years since they were used here.

Oddly, on a few new housing developments, CU are still featuring P852K lanterns.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:57 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
Some great pictures there, good to see the concretes are still soldiering on...

Finally, a flick through some more of my pictures shows a surviving Stanton 8D, still with its steep bracket arm. This is to be found on Park Street in Lytham.

Latest news - 10.07.18.

Following a recent visit to Lytham, I have to report that this column has since been sleeved.

My report posted in October 2017, features photographs of this column with its original concrete bracket still in situ.

Attachments:
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg [ 88.41 KiB | Viewed 22057 times ]
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg [ 123.83 KiB | Viewed 22057 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:51 pm 

Whilst this won't have been a major surprise to those with an interest in streetlighting, it does now appear that Manchester City Council has "seen the light" and for a little while now, has been changing its provision to LED. Amey PLC as the council's PFI contractor is undertaking the work, something it has also recently done in the nearby borough of Trafford.

Interestingly, perusal of committee minutes indicates that LED trials were already underway towards the end of 2010, with the provision for such changes due to improvements in technology, being incorporated in the original contract back in 2004.

The early years of the original PFI scheme was wholly successful in eradicating SOX from the city's thoroughfares. Not only did the lanterns go (most of which dated from the 1960s and 70s), but the scheme also saw the standardised hexagonal Poles Ltd / Adastra columns go for scrap, along with the surviving cast iron and concrete variety too.

Based on what was available at the time, the new scheme favoured the Philips Iridium with PEC. Whilst main routes went to SON, residential districts plumped for the white MH, although in cul de sacs and passageways, the Philips PL inspired Residium was used instead.

With a greater acceptance of LED amongst many LAs, plus the fact that the Iridiums themselves will now be over ten years old, it was only a matter of time before Manchester followed suit.

However, with an estimated 56 000 lanterns on the inventory, it will be a little while before the conversion will be complete. As new columns were installed during the original PFI, it is unlikely there will be anything like the scale of replacements as seen previously.

Already, parts of Openshaw and Gorton have been relit with what look to be Lumas (although whether these will be subject to the same safety bond treatment as those under the auspices of the HA remains to be seen). The results in fairness are pretty good, especially on the main A57, where the existing 12m mounting height has been maintained.

With such a huge amount of redundant Iridiums and Residiums being removed,  I would suspect Lumicom is going to be very busy for the foreseeable future!

Attachments:
File comment: Taken back in 2008, one of Manchester's surviving ex gas columns is in the process of being replaced. The PFI works undertaken by Amey PLC, removed all that was interesting in the city's streetlighting at the time. Now after just ten years service, the Iridium in the background is about to become history itself.
2008_05190063.JPG
2008_05190063.JPG [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 21374 times ]