It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:24 pm 
Random avatar

Crank Road -

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5195, ... 312!8i6656 - Just go all the way up this road to see whats now no longer there. It was just last week I would walk past here to go to the shop and I would actually hope that the Iridium that was at the very front was still there (an older replacement scheme saw all the MRL6s get removed so that MRL6 at the very front was changed to an Iridium).  They are all now small Lumas with all concretes removed but the metal columns remained.

Last edited by NWwigan on Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:35 pm 
Random avatar

On the replacements, previously pictured. Jones Lighting (I assume) have installed the new lanterns onto the columns. The lantern of choice unsurprisingly is the Holophane Factor Small which seems to have been installed on a old shortened bracketby the look of the rust on the side which does make the installation look untidy in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:05 am 

Phosco152 wrote:
Alpha 5s and indeed outreach brackets are now getting so rare (and vintage double brackets even rarer still), that there are probably some members of Ukastle who may have not seen such an installation.

For those who may be in the area, the A560 / Shaftesbury Avenue from Timperley into Altrincham, Cheshire has plenty of long outreach brackets on steel columns. These originally had SLI Alpha 5s on, however these were replaced some time ago with Philips MA lanterns. In recent times, some of the original columns have also been replaced due to corrosion, however Trafford still seems keen to continue with SOX on long outreaches for the time being. Well worth a visit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:01 pm 
Random avatar

Since I last talked about my hometown Wigan, things have changed further. LEDs have practically wiped out every other lighting platform. Please tell me if its not just me who finds this annoying, or am I rattled in my head.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:16 pm 

NWwigan wrote:
Since I last talked about my hometown Wigan, things have changed further. LEDs have practically wiped out every other lighting platform. Please tell me if its not just me who finds this annoying, or am I rattled in my head.

I can't help but agree with you, in the East Riding they're replacing everything with LED as fast as they possibly can.

What annoys me is that they're binning thousands of 1-2 year old flourescent lanterns from the mass white lighting rollout. I hate waste

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:15 am 

Lumicom must really be cashing in from this recycling of barely-worn-in lanterns. We had it in York with Thorn Jets in Bishopthorpe installed in 2013 getting replaced in early 2015 by TerraLED's, though I believe this is because the inventory still had those columns as having SOX lanterns.

But now York is on the LED act too... if a lamp fails (SON/SOX/MBFU), the whole lantern is swapped for either a TerraLED or a V-Max, whilst bulk replacements are spreading like wildfire.

In the Manchester area, there is an area (Eccles I believe, by the M602) where the train line from Liverpool and the North (Bolton route is currently closed) runs beside a major road... and in the last year or so I have noticed the MA60's along that road are just being left to die out. Now it has got to the point where the ones still working are the exception.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:26 pm 

Hi All,

Some strange things happening in Carlisle at the moment, as well as the LED replacement scheme I have spotted (typical of Carlisle Council to save a few quid!!) 35w SOX tubes being replaced with LED tubes.

This is a weird one, a Thorn Top Entry 1960s Beta 5 running an LED Tube. A bit of a strange angle on the LED replacement but at least we keep the Concrete columns, beta 5s and P42 cells :)

Regards,

Andrew.

Attachments:
20151017_164322.jpg
20151017_164322.jpg [ 94.29 KiB | Viewed 9847 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:45 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Very interesting discovery there, meppso. I'd be interested to hear about its optical performance at night should you get the chance to see this!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:53 am 

This is just the sort of attitude that should be commended, its a shame not many LA's are taking this approach

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:43 am 

Alex wrote:
Very interesting discovery there, meppso. I'd be interested to hear about its optical performance at night should you get the chance to see this!

Yeah, I will try and get down there this week to see what it looks like.

Regards,

Andrew.