It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Overseas lighting
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:44 pm 
Site Administration

I thought I would start a new thread in the regional section for overseas lighting. If and when we get enough contributions, we can always decide to move this/split/expand it to cover specific areas.

Anyway spotted today in the San Jose region of California are this and this. I had seen these types of lantern on my last trip but didn't get photographs back then.

The city of San Jose still uses SOX lighting although I'm not sure if new SOX lanterns are still installed.

Profile  Personal album 

Post subject: Re: Overseas lighting
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:41 am 
Site Administration

Where I am staying in California, 25ft columns but with just 70W SON are very common in residential areas. I have just taken this pic - it is not quite fully dark. Just look at the typical column spacing yet the road surface is well enough lit if you are a pedestrian to able to see where you are going.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:04 pm 
Site Administration

I spotted this last weekend in California. It appears to be integrally geared full cut off SOX lantern. There are other SOX lanterns in the vicinity.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:10 pm 

There are two areas in the US that I know have SOX. One is in Arizona where it's to do with light spillage control near an observatory. Check out the brackets :D

The other area is the freeways around Boston.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:03 pm 
Random avatar

I remember when I went to Barcelona in 2009 and practically all the city was either MBF or Metal Halide lighting. They had 250watt areafloods wall mounted down side streets. And they had lanterns that run 2x400watt mercury lamps, a bit similar to that or the Atlas Alpha8. It seemed very over-lit aswell, I think it was brighter at night than day, even the beach was floodlit. Here are a few streetview examples:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... ,,0,-12.08

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... ,,0,-20.05

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 2,,0,-9.98

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 89,,0,8.08

Unfortunately I couldn't find the twin lamped lanterns but I'm sure there still there. But Barcelona like there floodlights as you can see by the street view images.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:56 pm 
Site Administration

Speaking of Barcelona, just outside the railway station are some sidings with with viaduct/bridge running over them. Some of the "arches" underneath are lit with 90W SOX lanterns - a bit similar to the underbridge/tunnel lights used in the UK. Not on GSV unfortunately.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:12 am 

I like the V-shaped floodlight pylons in the 3rd link.

I suppose they floodlight the beach as it's quite likely there's a lot going on at night on the sands... a few parties and suchlike.

Over here the only place I can think of (that I've been to) that has floodlights for the beach is Scarborough! And the floodlights only cover the 10m or so from the pavement.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:20 am 
Random avatar

I did not see any SOX but I wasn't at the train station, although they have got some aincient lanterns on cast columns which all run MBF, all floodlights are metal halide as well.

The other strange thing was that there was no orange glow in the sky,  I presume this is because there's little SON and SOX. But in Barcelona they seem to prefer to floodlight roads than streetlight them.

I presume the reason for lanterns and columns to last longer abroad is because they don't have the same H&S regulations as we do, plus they don't get as much rain or damp so less corrosion will occour.

I remember when I was in Murcia, Spain last year and they had most roads set out with a central reservation and 8m columns with double bracks and SON cobra head lanterns. These were residential areas, Murcia was SON dominated. Also abroad has anybody else noticed this that rather than concrete the column into the ground they bolt it into road at ground level (like what they do on bridges here).

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:12 pm 
Site Administration

I'm back in California till the end of the week. San Jose still widely uses SOX lighting. Last time I was here, I spotted some full cut off SOX lanterns presumably 180W SOX. Yesterday I found some more in a different location.

Clicky.

The use of "shoebox" full cut off SOX lanterns for lighting store/shop carparks seems to be common even for new stores in this area. Again spotted yesterday.

Also these in another car park.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:31 pm 
Site Administration

I noticed today on the Freeway the use of some aluminium columns presumably "crash safe" types. Funny thing is that the bracket arm is still a galvanised steel tube (clamped to the main pole rather than bolted to an aperture near the top of the column like on the all steel type). Given that in many cases the bracket tube can be 0.5 to 0.75 the height of the main tube, it doesn't seem very "crash safe" to me - unless they are relying on the bracket arm to catapult off the column on impact - again not a very safe idea.

Also spotted today is another type of SOX lantern presumably 90W.

Click me.

Profile  Personal album