It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:05 am 
Random avatar

Yes there is alot of lighting on wood poles, especially I the more rural areas but also in the city aswell. You are also never far from a wood pole which will be used to feed lighting, signs etc.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:44 pm 
Random avatar

Wood poles in the city? That's quite unusual! Sounds like quite an interesting place then lighting-wise!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:26 am 
Random avatar

Not right in the city centre , but the housing areas, these also contain an abundance of cast iron columns. Outside the city I would say more lighting it pole mounted than on normal columns. The team valley industrial estate has now been sapphired with more sox loss whereas in Durham there's been son loss with a mixture of alpha8s, sapphires and MRL6s all being replaced by ZX2s. The sapphires were only a year old at the time of replacement.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:28 pm 
Random avatar

The Scotswood bridge was currently having its lighting replaced today as I drove over, unfortunately I couldn't stop and get a photo due to the nature of the road. The old lighting consisted of batterd CU columns supporting MRL6 lanterns with very brown bowls so they had probably served there time. On the way back I came back through Blaydon town, Ryton, Lowfell and Chopwell to find all traces or main road SOX and SON replaced by Sapphires, The Blaydon GEC Bricks are still clinging on but looking in a poor state of repair with bowls missing and one example with its 135watt SOX bulb dangling from its bulb holder, I doubt their fate is sealed.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:13 pm 
Random avatar

Some of you might want to have a look up to Gateshead before long as all main road lighting under 150W is set to go by the end of this year. Meaning all main road SOX and SON will be replaced. This will see the end of Alpha8s, MRL6s, GEC Fishbowls, Abacus Orions (that were a disaster to begin with as they weren't switched so just burned 24/7) Alpha4s, MRL15s (GEC Version), Vectras, Arcs, SGS203s, Iridiums, Eleco Golder rays and other various SON & SOX lanterns some less than 3 years old. All are being replaced with post top Sapphires.  The next target is roads lit at over 150W e.g. 180W SOX and 250W+ SON , including high masts. There is currently no plans for residential areas. All the replacements are part of a carbon reduction programme and the Tyneside dark skies campaign. Hopefully the sheer amount of curved glass Sapphires not running SON or SOX will make a difference.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:38 pm 

Does Gateshead have its own council or is the renewals being done by contractors? Because if we're having a UKASTLE meet up, it'll be a good idea to post an announcement in the Awayaday's, Meets & Depot visits thread.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:58 pm 
Random avatar

I'm not sure as most of the replcements are done during the night. I have not been able to see any being carried out, but at the rate it is being done, I imagine it could be contractors. I know that Durham's is being done by the county council. You never see the Gateshead bucket around anymore so this would suggest it is done by contractors. I am from Consett in Durham which about 12 miles from the busy areas of Gateshead. At least Gateshead has some info on the replacement scheme unlike Durham ( as they probably know residents would twist at the thought of dimming or switching off, what they don't know they can't winge about ) Most people who I've talked to seem pleased with the new lighting although the Oracles have very little upward and backward light spill.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:02 am 

http://www.publictenders.net/tender/88033

this page shows Gateshead council issued a tender for street lighting replacements in December 2010... the preferred 'operator' listed is Urbis. But:
Quote:
The luminaires will be fitted to the existing lighting columns by the Council's internal Contractor/DLO therefore installation will not be a requirement of this contract.

Clear as mud then! I think what we have to do is be around sometime after 6pm, as that's when the night shifts normally start, and pick an area to monitor to see what comes down.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:34 am 
Random avatar

I haven't seen that page, the only one I seen was a downloadable Word document with a table prioritising replacements. Urbis is preferred as they've only installed post top Sapphires

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:10 am 
Random avatar

Newcastle have replaced all of their nema photocells with the Mayflower system allowing dimming and switching to take place. The lighting will remain constant in the city centre but will be switched on footpaths, residential areas and roads which have reduced traffic flow during the night. Looks like there's only Northumberland left without a radio frequency system.

Profile  Personal album