It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:38 am 
Random avatar

Hello everyone!

My name is Jake, even if my username is quite deceiving!  ;) I've had an interest in street lighting from a young age and am quite glad I've found somewhere where I can share my interests with fellow enthusiasts. I've been following UKASTLE for a while and have only just got around to joining properly! My collection of just 4 lanterns pales in comparison to some of the fantastic collections I've seen by other enthusiasts. I'm currently based in Sheffield and have been for the past 19 years so I hope to provide some insight to anyone wondering about the installations in the South Yorkshire region, especially considering Sheffield's very own PFI is upcoming :)

Regards,
Jake

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:23 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Hi Jake! Welcome to UKASTLE :D

I look forward to reading more of your posts. If you have any queries or questions, please do not hesitate to contact me or another member of the team.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:29 pm 

Welcome to Ukastle Jake.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:55 pm 

Hello and Welcome Jake - good to have another Yorkshireman on here :)
Tha lanterns in your collection, were they sourced locally or from eBay?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:24 am 

Hello and Welcome to UKASTLE from me.

I've worked around Sheffield and South Yorkshire for the last 15 years and the lighting amazes me on every visit.. From the ancient floodlights at Tinsley Marshalling Yard to the 35w SOX Phosco lanterns. It's such a shame that the council won't release any old lanterns for preservation and insist on upholding the recycling part in the WEEE Directive. I however draw their attention to my signature....

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:25 pm 
Random avatar

Welcome to the forums Jake!  :) And Jake is a good name.  ;)  :P

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:46 am 
Random avatar

Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes :)

My lanterns were sourced from eBay, I've been trying to get lanterns that SCC use so it's about as close to local as I can get for the time being. There is a lantern outside my home (AC712) on a cast iron column which I want to try and obtain (Claire has an identical one on her site, from the same road coincedentially!) but if the council is as strict as mentioned then it may be more difficult than I expected  :roll:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:17 pm 

All I can suggest is to remain highly vigilant. It can be a case that the management will say one thing, but the blokes on the ground may be happy for you to have a lantern for a bit of beer/fish & chips money! In some cases, the person who can pass lanterns on to us only requests that they get more from the lantern than it's scrap value. In other cases where people are enlightened, they will be aware that WEEE regulations state first that electricial equipment should be endeavoured to be reused before being recycled, and they will also know it costs money to recycle the lanterns as opposed to getting a bit on the side for letting the odd lantern be reused instead.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:24 pm 

Wecolme to cu_phosco and mickus. I hope you enjoy it here.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:06 pm 
Formerly Paspie

Hi There!

I came to know of UKASTLE after I had been on the SABRE forums so long: 2 years infact. A bunch of my posts made on that site are on the Street Furniture sub-forum, which is why I joined here!

Top topics I'm into are the decreasing usage of SOX lighting everywhere in the UK. I do not understand it. Even with LED, SON and Compact Fluorescents taking over our streets none of them can match the efficiency and cost:power than SOX can. I absolutely love this kind of lighting, especially on motorways! Maybe if a little investment is made so that it is more attractive to the local councils and Highways Agency than maybe it'll make a comeback, but for now it's just a countdown of remaining lanterns. It's a good thing that the Thorn Alpha Four and the Philips SRS201 (formerly MA50, MA60 and MA90) are still in production, though mostly for casual replacements.

I hope I enjoy my time here!

Paspie