It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:02 pm 
Site Administration

In Pompey, Colas have finally got round to fitting replacement columns at the top end of Church Street (a year after they started work in this street) which will see the PJ hockey sticks - some still fitted with GEC9554s - be replaced. Coming into the city the north end of Commercial Road has new columns still waiting to be connected as mentioned by sotonsteve, but outbound the PJ hockey sticks and MA60s still reign supreme from Flathouse Quay up to the Shell garage.

Meanwhile this has gone to this via this and this.

Proof it is over 100 years old.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:17 pm 
Site Administration

Phosco152 wrote:

Meanwhile south of Reading, junction improvement works on the M4 J11 and south of the junction on the A33, have seen tapered tubular steel columns installed but with an unusual bracket design.

At the M4 junction itself on the new link and slip roads north of the junction, a very similar column design has been used, but this time in aluminium, rather than steel. The brackets are very similar to the steel ones but they have a deeper and longer strengthening web on the horizontal tube.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:11 pm 
Site Administration

No more work has been carried out to the new aluminium columns on the A27 Havant bypass. They are still as before Christmas with no lanterns and possibly missing some of their bracket. There is however confirmation that the existing MA60s are switched off - they are all covered with a good 100mm of snow on top.  :D  I bet Philips never designed the spigot to take that ("loading") into account and I bet the original 1960 column designers didn't either (let alone a geared MA60 later in life!)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:08 am 

A drive through Southampton last night revealed a number of outages, showing a continual slack approach to maintenance. At a pair of roundabouts being converted into a staggered signalised junction with loads of traffic lights (as if we haven't got enough of these congestion producers already), I was horrified to see the old columns, installed in around 2003, being replaced with new columns, even though the old columns were still positioned well against the new junction. So there goes another batch of new columns to the scrapheap, to go with the dozens and dozens of new columns from the city centre that they sent for scrap. Meanwhile, the council still have money troubles...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:10 pm 
Site Administration

Some new pictures added to the Fareham Borough section of my Fotopic site showing some of the varied lighting that will be swept away with the forthcoming PFI. I was planning to upload more pictures but Fotopic has gone on a go slow...  :x

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:42 pm 

In a remarkable coincidence, my company are sending me to Haywards Heath town centre tomorrow. Needless to add, there is a particular sight I would very much like to see.

This unrelated picture gallery from November 2009 (i.e. very recent!) suggests that those magnificent GEC fluorescents are still defiantly there, so it looks like a short detour is in order and, section 44 or no section 44 (of the Terrorism Act 2000) the camera is just going to have to come out!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:11 pm 
Site Administration

Yep, they seem to have been forgotton about and are part of lighting folklore. Similar lanterns exist in Chichester bus station, 2 of them. Sotonsteve did actually make enquires a few years back about saving them. He was told yes, if he could remove them and the columns at his own cost.  :? "We" are still working on that one, although we both have more contacts in the "trade" than we did a few years back, it is still a "big job" though..

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:41 pm 
Site Administration

The trouble is it will need at very least a "tower" platform to get the lantern down and then a large Hiab to get the column down even if it cut at its base. I know a "man in the trade" but even so it would have to be done as a "rabbit" which is the problem. It is also a fully working bus station so there are access and Health and Safety Issues. Given that this equally "robust" column took 3 attempts to be removed by the professionals it is not going to be an easy job. That is precisely why the lanterns still probably survive - the same for the Haywards Heath one.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:22 pm 

If it was to be removed, we would have to encourage Stagecoach to close a couple of stands for Health and Safety reasons. We would have to give 56 days notice to Stagecoach so that some services could be moved to other stands so that the task could be undertaken safely.

It depends on what's going to happen with it, as I'd rather see it stay unless Stagecoach wants it removed.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:06 am 

David wrote:
looks like a short detour is in order and, section 44 or no section 44 (of the Terrorism Act 2000) the camera is just going to have to come out!

EU Court of human rights have ruled that S44 stop-and-search is an invasion of privacy and human rights, and have effectively banned stop-and-searching of random members of the public.

Profile  Personal album