It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:54 pm 

Hello and welcome. Which area of the country are you based then, seeing as P107s are only common in certain areas of the country?

I myself too like the old style post top lanterns - I sometimes refer to them as 360 lanterns simply because the light distribution is generally symmetrical over the full 360 degrees from the centre of the lantern (when looking down on it from above); as compared to a normal road lantern fitted directly to the top of a column, wherey the light distribution is focused on the road surface and not in all directions from the lantern.

I think the settings for this forum do allow for new members to send PMs right from the start, as generally the counter-spam measures on the Registration page block all the spambots from getting in.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:01 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Welcome post-top!

I added you to the "Access to General Chat & Collections" group as default so there shouldn't be any problems with PMs now.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:55 pm 
Random avatar

Thanks Mazeteam, I'm originally from the SE but living in the South Wales valleys now which is where the P107 is from.  There aren't many P107s around here but there are plenty of post top installations with other 360 degree designs, although they are sadly disappearing which is a shame as the even light distribution works well in residential estates where the lighting needs to be as much for pedestrian use as for cars.  One reason I like the P107 actually comes from a childhood holiday in Scotland and seeing them installed in Edinburgh on concrete columns against the backdrop of the city's classic architecture - a perfect combination.  

PS: Thanks Alex, I can see the PM icon now!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:58 pm 

post-top wrote:
There aren't many P107s around here but there are plenty of post top installations with other 360 degree designs, although they are sadly disappearing which is a shame as the even light distribution works well in residential estates where the lighting needs to be as much for pedestrian use as for cars.

I feel the same way... Even more modern dedicated post top lanterns like the WRTL 2000 can give a good illumination without light intruding into bedrooms. Where I used to live was at the end of a road where you had to go through a council estate area to get to it - and the road always used road lanterns as aversed to post tops, and it got relit using full cut off lanterns. Terrible choice, as the road went up hill slightly, and at night as you went up the hill every house front was dark and all the gardens dark as no light spread behind the lanterns - and it just the area feel really intimidating. In addition, not too long after the change, porch lights and badly-installed halogen floodlights started appearing on the houses as people didn't like their cars being in darkness.
A bit of light spill is needed on residential streets, even more so on council estates, and completely cutting that out isn't a wise idea in my books.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:54 am 
Random avatar

Same story around here with the Oracles, they light underneath them and nothing else. Then when people ring up saying their gardens are dark the councils reply is that we don't put streetlighting up to light your garden, but still they are only 45W, and they light the road excellently.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:23 pm 
Random avatar

Nice to hear others agree about the replacement of post tops with cut-off designs as I'm only interested in lighting as a hobby and am no expert on the technical aspect of installations.   It seems to me that the post top is a logical descendant of the original 360 degree street lanterns lit by candles / gas etc. prior to the advent of the motor car, which were always intended to light the surrounding area as well as the road, and surely in residential areas this still should be the main purpose of the lighting since a high proportion of the traffic will be starting or ending a journey at a house rather than travelling along the entire road.

Obviously there is a place for cut-off lanterns on main roads and motorways.  The installation you mention Scott would probably also work well on an industrial estate or business park where most of the premises have car parks which are lit anyway.  Maybe concern over light pollution is driving the move to cut-off designs in residential areas.

Anyway, I'd better stop as this is only meant to be the introduction thread...  so thanks for the warm welcome!  :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:25 pm 
Random avatar

Hello! My name is Chanceskydiver, I am new to this site and my friend Callum got me to register.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:35 pm 

Hi Mikey,

Welcome to the group.

Claire

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:48 pm 

Welcome to Ukastle :mrgreen:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:24 pm 

Welcome to Ukastle, I do hope you will enjoy it here.

Profile  Personal album