It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Suggestions Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:38 am 

At present, the site updates thread (the one that is locked) is done as a single thread for a single reason - so that a pullposts script can grab the 4 or 5 most recent posts made there and display under the relevant tab on the homepage. The thread being locked so only admins/mods can write to it (so you don't end up with questions being shown on the homepage, or members conversations with other members going onto the homepage long-term.
If you mean a seperate thread where people can contribute their views on an update - this can be looked into if others feel this is a good idea.

Glossary - I feel this would be a good idea, as newcomers may be seeing SOX this, MBF that, and be thinking "what does all this MEAN??", without there being a glossaryto define the terms and abbreviations used.

Chat Window - At the moment, my goal is looking at a suitable way of managing content for the Reference Section. If I can get a Wiki installed and it works from there, then great - but if not then it may be a while before a working solution is found/made. Once that is done then there may be the option of a Chat Window, but this in itself has other issues: such as how much server resources will this use (memory, disk space, processor capacity), and whether it'd be a good idea to have it moderated or un-moderated - and if the former is chosen then the chat would have to be unavailable until somebody logged in to moderate it.
I've only just got something working for showing both the 2009 and 2010 POTM galleries on the home page... and while the switching arrows works, I'm looking longer term to see if I can have an auto-updating function that reads for files relating to a year and adding a link to view that automatically.

Anybody else got ideas for a paragraph (or two) / page for describing the activities of us folk...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:42 am 

Urbis Saturn Land wrote:
Here's my attempt:

Streetlight Preservation and Collection.

Some members of UKASTLE collect from depots or swap other members lanterns in which are preserved as a reminder of yesteryears street lighting. Nowadays most lanterns run on either a peachy coloured lamp known as SON or are orange, and is known as SOX.

The older type of lanterns operate off Mercury which illuminates a  mint coloured glow, sadly these are being consigned to the history books as of 2013 Mercury lighting shall be no more and is important to our heritage of lighting from the past. Preserving these lanterns and lamps are important as collectors are stocking up on these until there shall be no more Mercury’s left, the lanterns are also reminders of the time when they were common in use, notably in West Sussex, Parts of Yorkshire, Merseyside, and the South West. The same will happen for the SOX lamp and lantern within the next 20 years.

Many of our members have reasonably sized collections some have 10 lanterns whist others have 100, these are cared for by members to restore them to their former glory. Some even use them as ornamental garden lighting.  A lantern (streetlight) does not just ‘light up’ as many people think, lanterns switch on in many ways. Most notably is SOX which illuminates a neon red colour before it comes orange.

If your interested about the history of lanterns, lamps and gear why not join us, membership is free and if you wanted to you could even start your own collection and restoration.

Written by Steven D. (Urbis Saturn Land).

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:57 pm 

Thanks. At the moment though, there's no others to compare to... and given what others have suggested, I'm thinking of disabling the 'page 4' tab on the homepage.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:58 am 

Any chance of sorting out the PM notifications? I often do not notice that there is a PM.

Can you set it to do one of the following:

Flash in a bright font?

Change the colour when there is a message?

Popups that are not blocked?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:00 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

I've not heard of any mods available for this, but we can have a look. I sometimes get a PM notification email, sometimes I don't. Otherwise, my way of keeping on track of things is when I log in, the "0 new messages" being changed "1 new message" usually catches my eye. Because it is right adjacent to the "Logout [username]" button anyhow.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:06 am 

I tried something for this a couple of weeks ago, but it didn't work properly. When you are not logged in, there is a NOTICE saying you're not logged in... well I tried putting in some script so that if you had a new message it'd show a NOTICE at the top of the page saying you had a message. However, if you had no messages it'd still show a NOTICE but just say "0 new messages"... I'm still working on it though.

Alex wrote:
I sometimes get a PM notification email, sometimes I don't.

Have you had any emails like this since I stated that the new user verification by email had to be disabled?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:52 am 

As an ammendmant to my above post, I think I have now sussed out a NOTICE to be shown if you have a PM. A PHP script polls the server to see how many new messages you have - this number is saved as a javascript variable called PMnos. I then have a second variable called Zero, of which the value is 0... if PMnos has a value greater than Zero, a javascript calls up a NOTICE box to be shown. if PMnos equals Zero then nothing should happen - and in testing this latter bit seems to work. Whether it'll work when a PM is received, you folks will have to tell me.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:51 pm 

Thanks Mazeteam. Just gotta wait for a PM now  :lol:

I get no emails from this forum at all. That includes PM notifications too.

Last edited by Stelmer on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:19 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

mazeteam wrote:
Have you had any emails like this since I stated that the new user verification by email had to be disabled?

TBH, I cannot remember. It wasn't too long ago when I received a PM notification, though it has been deleted from my email account now so I cannot give the date of that. But yes the most recent PMs sent have not had a notification.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:16 am 

I have sent a query to the phpbb support centre to see if there's any alternatives to the php 'mail' function... but no reply.

The only other thing I can think of, which will take some doing, is that I build an emailer script and then every reference in the phpbb code where the email function is used, I simply rewrite it so that my script is executed instead... Whether it'd work or even if I can pull off something like that I don't know.

but here's hoping the NOTICE for messages works!! now then, anybody sent off any PM's?? :lol:

Profile  Personal album