It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:07 pm 
Random avatar

LED technology is moving on quite well now, a large number of Urbis Axias have been installed around Plymouth and I have been told not one has failed yet.The thing is with LEDs is they can be a bit on the glary side.  8-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:26 pm 
Site Administration

Unusual new design LED lantern.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:01 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Interesting design, though I can't tell whether or not I like it until I see a picture of an example in situ. Incidentally, another design I've not seen before was linked on a tweet: http://www.mapleridgenews.com/news/204764821.html

The trending article today on Twitter, streetlighting-wise, is the claim that LED lanterns reduce light pollution: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22292129

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:08 am 

... Wasn't that the point of LED lanterns like the Stela anyway?? The narrow beam of the LEDs placed on a slightly curved plane creates a more rectangular beam shape on the road.

The Aeroblade looks like an interesting design - made by the same people who refurbished a Richardson Candle.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:34 pm 
Random avatar

Alex wrote:
Interesting design, though I can't tell whether or not I like it until I see a picture of an example in situ. Incidentally, another design I've not seen before was linked on a tweet: http://www.mapleridgenews.com/news/204764821.html

I installed a load of those on a private site in Plymouth. they're Holophane LEDgend lanterns. They look hideous and are awful to install. Not bad for £1100.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:17 am 

You'd be able to play a good game of tennis with them...!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:53 pm 
Random avatar

Probably the best job for them  :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:36 pm 
Random avatar

Does anybody think whether the government (or a better future one) will at some point step in and subsidise all Local Authorities/Councils with money for upgrading all street lighting to LED, in order to contribute to achieving the many 'Carbon reduction 2020' style goals/timeframes/summits?

Maybe if tighter RoSH/WEEE regulations occur in the near future, SON and Metal Halide lamps will be forced to take a serious step back?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:59 pm 

If it's in a poorer area such as North East Lincolnshire then probably, but it all depends on who is running the council. If it's Labour, Conservative or LibDems then more than likely nothing will be done. I could imagine Corby being 'upgraded' as the local council isn't fully controlled by the main three, so we could see LED lanterns nailed up on a faster frequency than FirstGroup could ever do.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:48 am 

I personally doubt there'd be any subsidies. People and organisations didn't get subsidised when they had to buy all new TV equipment so as to receive digital signals, so that analogue could be switch off and then the government sell off the old TV frequencies for several million pounds to mobile phone companies for 4G networks.... so if the government won't subsidise something that eventually they benefit from, they're even less likely to subsidise something that won't benefit them - especially the current government who's trying to dismantle the NHS through the back door and will sell off major roads if they get a second term in power.

Profile  Personal album