It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:11 pm 
Random avatar

I have been interested in street lighting and units of all kinds, old and new for a long time, along with other aspects of non-natural lighting, I just never thought to actually see what was out there in terms of the label "street lighting enthusiast"!  I have always had a keen and good spotting eye for such things and when they change too, and not only streets and public places but factories and the externals of buildings too.  I have been lucky enough to go up in a large cherry picker on the back of a lorry to install some new High Mast lighting (the winch down frames with 6 bulkheads mounted).  I also love all the different lamps themselves, the inner workings and the science behind them.

I don't know the Monks Cross side too well really.  Is there anybody else in and around North Yorkshire?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:29 pm 
Random avatar
Hi all!

I just joined this site today, after originally thinking it was time for the net to have a streetlighting forum. But since it does, here I am!

I have been into Streetlights since around 5-8 years old, I can't remember the exact year, but according to my Mum, it was because my Dad said 'Streetlights are our friends!' and so then I got brainwashed and tuned into streetlamps. I don't know myself.

I'm not an expert on the types so please correct me if I am wrong when I state a lamp is something, that it is not.

Only by looking at another streetlight website can I refer to the exact types.

My long time favourite has been the GEC Z9554 135W SOX deep bowl, they used to (or still do) appear around the counties where my relatives are based (in t' north), I used to and still do, refer to them as Sedgefield street lights. Seems to me they're a dying breed these days, but I did happen to spot some in North Wales. Also like the new SGS 253/254s.

Nice site you have here. Look forward to discussing one of my favourite hobbies with you!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:06 pm 

Welcome to the site! If you're based on the Yorkshire Coast, then you're in the same area as Mad-al, Stelmer, Urbis Saturn Land, and Myself (I think that's everyone in the Yorkshire crew anyway!). Dependant on whether you're in the East Riding or North Yorkshire part of the coast will be seeing the lighting round your way replaced at some point by bulk replacement programmes going on at the moment...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:51 am 
Random avatar
I am based in Scarborough, or more specifically, the village of Ayton.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:41 pm 
Random avatar

Dear All, my name is Paul and after digesting most of the forum over the last few weeks I would like to say hello and to introduce myself!

I live in High Wycombe, Bucks where I have been for many years. I used to collect road works lanterns and still have a few from my old collection knocking around from about 20 years ago but never really got into street lighting.

Now Bucks CC are implementing the infamous LED replacement program and many of the old SOX lanterns are disappearing so I have decided to try and do something about it!

My aim is to preserve one example of the very best condition of every type of SOX lamp in my area.  I have limited space and so need to keep the collection small hence just SOX.

I have had some luck already snapping up a new old stock geared SRS201 135W which is a very common lantern in my area so its a good start. Also had some success inquiring about an MA90 so will have to wait and see what happens. As a novice I thought I'd start with Philips as these still seem easy to get/common, however not seen any MA60s around here!

There are lots of Thorn Alpha 5s and 9s still about as well as Beta 5s plus a few others. Still some mercury but everything else is now either SON or LED.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:06 am 

welcome to the forum, and good luck with the collection! :)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:55 am 
Random avatar

Thanks I think I'm going to need it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:02 pm 

Welcome to UKASTLE. I started my collection back in 2007 and have kept it small... currently 27 lanterns!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:48 pm 
Random avatar

Well just had some luck about the MA90! :D  Got an email from the lighting team and they said "when a suitable lantern becomes available they will put it to one side for me to collect it" no idea how long this will take and what to expect when I get to their depot! Need some advice on what to do and how to give the right impression!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:24 pm 
Site Administration

Have a look here.

Profile  Personal album