All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Lamppost falling
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:03 am 

Somebody's going to get a bo*****king for that!  :shock:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:23 am 
Random avatar

Indeed! Or the sling snapped, doubt that one.
Rush rush rush!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:15 pm 
Site Administration

I spotted this on several aluminium columns outside the Oval cricket ground in London at the weekend.

At first I thought the "non standard root installation" meant they had offset or flanged roots due to utilities in the way. However, when I read the notice again and looked at the base of the column, I realised it was a case of "elf and safety" gone mad - once again.

The columns in question, are crash safe types mounted in socket foundations, so yes if the column is crashed into by a vehicle, it is designed to separate at the base, but surely if you are in the vicinity of such a crash, then I think a lamp post falling over is the least of your worries. The column is not going to collapse on its own accord, which the notice seems to imply.

Just to add to the ridicule of it all, the road in question has a 30mph limit, next to the columns is a bus lane, which actually terminates in a few hundred yards, meaning the traffic speed will be much below the limit as the buses need to merge into the main carriageway, and overhanging trees and the column set back from the kerb, means the buses are probably a metre or more away from the columns anyway.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:48 pm 
Site Administration

Not so much structural failure, but criminal damage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-leeds-43581424/newly-installed-cctv-pillar-tumbles-into-bradford-street

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:22 pm 
Random avatar

There is a column on a road called Comforts Avenue in Scunthorpe I've reported to North Lincolnshire Council several times, and the reports always get closed without anything beign done about it. The column seems to be leaning quite a bit.

If you look on Google Street View, you'll see a column that's sleeved when all the others aren't, this is the leaning one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:40 pm 

I take it you mean this fella?
Attachment:
comf1.jpg
comf1.jpg [ 105.6 KiB | Viewed 17898 times ]

It does have quite a lean, although I think we've all seen worse.

I would suspect it has been scraped by a vehicle coming out of the passageway. In fact, if you look closely you can just make out the grazed area on the concrete adjacent to the access door.
Attachment:
comf1ab.jpg
comf1ab.jpg [ 83.72 KiB | Viewed 17898 times ]

No doubt the vehicle came off far worst.

It might be possible to realign the column to the vertical, providing the brick wall behind doesn't object.
In terms of the thing actually falling over, I would assume the LA are satisfied it poses no immediate risk of toppling, although I would think there would be more risk of this, had the column retained its original curved concrete bracket.

I'm sure you'll keep us all posted!

Nb: Do you happen to know what lanterns were originally fitted to these columns?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:05 am 
Random avatar

Yes, that is the one I mean.

Never mind realignment, if it were me, I'd take down all the concrete columns on that road and replace them with metal columns, I hate concrete columns and was disappointed when the LED lighting rollout officially begun last September, most concrete columns so far have been retained!

Prior to this, I've seen them randomly replace columns that seem to pose no immediate risk, still in good condition.

As for what lanterns were originally fitted, unfortunately, I don't I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:14 pm 
Random avatar

Update: That column has just been replaced, as I've noticed today, although a small trench is still around the new column and the new LED lighting has yet to be installed onto it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:33 am 
Random avatar

deadendwaterfall wrote:
Yes, that is the one I mean.

Never mind realignment, if it were me, I'd take down all the concrete columns on that road and replace them with metal columns, I hate concrete columns and was disappointed when the LED lighting rollout officially begun last September, most concrete columns so far have been retained!

Prior to this, I've seen them randomly replace columns that seem to pose no immediate risk, still in good condition.

As for what lanterns were originally fitted, unfortunately, I don't I'm afraid.

I can beat that, Bolton and Bury Councils have recently had a fad of replacing some concrete columns (and some old steel) that are apparently cracked, dangerous and life expired. They Install new steel columns, transfer or make new connections, then leave the old column in place.... so far one has been left redundant, disconnected but with a lantern for 9 years now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:01 pm 
Random avatar

I bet you can't guess what make of LED is on the new column that's replaced this unsleeved concrete column?

Attachments:
File comment: After
20180630_161831.jpg
20180630_161831.jpg [ 1.45 MiB | Viewed 17203 times ]
File comment: Before
Screenshot_2018-06-30-18-56-01.png
Screenshot_2018-06-30-18-56-01.png [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 17203 times ]