It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: "Heritage" lanterns
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:02 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

I was in Arundel last week and noticed that the heritage lanterns appear to have 'fake bulbs' in them to give the illusion that there is something in them.

This GSV shows that although the real optics are in-canopy, what looks to resemble a Victorian oil lamp is fitted to the base of the lantern. I think the whole illusion they're trying to go for really doesn't work...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:28 am 
Site Administration

The "glass flue" is far too small for a start and looks like its from a domestic oil lamp.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:54 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Indeed. I saw a couple day burning and I don't think anyone would be fooled by them!  Perhaps residents complained that the standard look was too 'empty'?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:11 am 

Alex wrote:
I was in Arundel last week and noticed that the heritage lanterns appear to have 'fake bulbs' in them to give the illusion that there is something in them.

This GSV shows that although the real optics are in-canopy, what looks to resemble a Victorian oil lamp is fitted to the base of the lantern. I think the whole illusion they're trying to go for really doesn't work...

I noticed them earlier this year when the Arundel Festival was on, some of the heritage lanterns just as the one shown in the GSV link were automatically a dead giveaway as I've seen these lit at night. The ones on the castle wall are MBF the ones on columns are SON.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:43 pm 

Going a bit off topic, but I honestly don't know why councils bother with heritage lighting. No one seems to care what kind of light the council puts up, apart from if it shines through their bedroom window, meaning the chronicle has a whole story devoted to their complaints. Occasionally you get an anti-enthusiast who asks the council to remove a perfectly functional lantern and install a tacky heritage lantern in its place.

That brings me back to the point that councils tend to spend copious amounts of money on vaguely old-looking lanterns that only a few people actually notice.

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:10 pm 

Where I'm from heritage lighting means Urbis Albanys and nothing else.

But what bothers me more is when new installations are entirely unsympathetic to what was there before. E.g. a Stanton finned column should be replaced with something more considered than a post top Iridium on a unpainted column.

Street lighting may no longer be a 'feature' of an estate but it can certainly stand out for the wrong reasons if it's not visually sympathetic to the area.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:32 pm 
Site Administration

The south coast PFI has applied the latest LED technology to Victorian style heritage lanterns. Thisexample in Winchester (on a new bracket) uses the Philips Fortimo LED technology (shown in centre of lantern, the other "objects" are reflections). CDM metal halide and compact fluorescent (CFL) lanterns of this style are in use in Winchester as well. Finally, the same style of lantern, but from CU Phosco and with a vertical CFL lamp and a plastic refractor ring and pre-dating the PFI, is also used in Winchester.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:45 pm 

I have always wondered, who currently makes the Revo Grey Wornums for Westminster council?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:16 pm 

Alex wrote:

I think all post tops, especially heritage ones which have clear glass / plasttic instred of diffused cones, look stupid with all the optics in the canopy and no lamp or refractor ring in the bowl/cone.

Last edited by Beta 5 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:51 pm 

Ali ZX2 wrote:
I have always wondered, who currently makes the Revo Grey Wornums for Westminster council?

I might be wrong on this, however back in the early 90s, I pretty sure I recall seeing a publicity piece (Lighting Equipment News?) about these iconic lanterns being refurbished / re manufactured by Urbis. There was the usual before and after shots along with the reasons behind the move. It would have been a bespoke production run at the time, as the Wornums were unique to the Westminster area. After years of use, the original Revo lanterns were in a poor state of repair. No doubt the original "repros" would themselves be due for replacement soon.