It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:53 pm 
Site Administration

From Salvage Hunters, this railway station lantern on display in Harwich Redoubt Fort. Claire and I have similar lanterns in our collections.

From the same episode, vintage 90W SOX lanterns on Stewarts and Lloyds columns in Lichfield, Staffordshire. One lantern right at top of screen in the foreground, another in the background and a Philips MA90 on the middle column.

Another example on a long reach bracket, possibly a wall mount.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:17 pm 
Random avatar

Another shot from a British Pathe film called 'Piccadilly Circus (1970)' showing the environs of the Circus, although based on the film showing at the Trocadero the date is actually early in 1972.  This view is looking down Coventry Strret with Leicester Square at the end (long before pedestrianisation).

REVO Sol-etern flourescent luminaires with 3/4  5ft 80 watt tubes dating from the mid-1950s abound.  REVO installed these themselves on behalf of the LEB.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:01 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
From Salvage Hunters, this railway station lantern on display in Harwich Redoubt Fort. Claire and I have similar lanterns in our collections.

Ex LNER, or at least ex BR built to LNER spec.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:32 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Interesting footage of the M4 near Heathrow (1977-1979) - is anyone able to identify the lanterns? Obviously the lanterns that feature later on are Alpha 3s, but I am referring to the ones at the beginning and on the slip roads.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:46 pm 

Alex wrote:
Interesting footage of the M4 near Heathrow (1977-1979) - is anyone able to identify the lanterns?

I have to admit I do like the current interest, in trying to identify lanterns from vintage film. Sometimes the subject in the frame is quite straightforward to identify, whilst on others the quality of the film (and filming) can make it more tricky.

Anyway, in this case it is quite difficult especially when trying to gauge the height of the twin arm columns. I suspect they are 12m  (40'), however the lanterns dimensions suggest they are SLI (200W?) . The bowl is too deep to be a "less gear" Alpha 6 meaning only two other contenders. One possible thought might be GEC's Z9517 but its streamlined design would make it easy to identify - even on 35mm cine. Based on these assumptions, I think the lanterns on the central res' are Alpha 5s. Depending on the age of the installation, they may be the original Atlas version or the later AEI / BLI Amberline which would have been more numerous in the 70s.

The slip road lanterns on the second portion of the footage, look like Atlas Alpha 10s, based on their mounting height and canopy outline.

Then again...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:26 am 

The M4 near Heathrow was originally lit with Atlas Alpha 6s and Atlas Alpha 10s.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:01 pm 

sotonsteve wrote:
The M4 near Heathrow was originally lit with Atlas Alpha 6s and Atlas Alpha 10s.

Well, not a bad attempt - 50% correct!

Presumably, these lanterns had the deeper bowl like the surviving Colchester stock, although the film footage does give the impression of integral refractor plates, which makes the lantern appear almost black against the sky.

Thinking about it now, the Alpha 6 was the most numerous lantern used on motorways round here at the same time, however these were fitted with the shallow bowl. The former M63 in South Manchester was lit with them until replaced in the 80s by MA60s.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:02 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Thought so - thanks.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:07 pm 

GreatNorburyStDepot wrote:
Presumably, these lanterns had the deeper bowl like the surviving Colchester stock, although the film footage does give the impression of integral refractor plates, which makes the lantern appear almost black against the sky.

The Atlas Alpha 6 was a completely different design to the Thorn Alpha 6, and was more or less a stretched Alpha 10.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:26 pm 

sotonsteve wrote:
GreatNorburyStDepot wrote:

The Atlas Alpha 6 was a completely different design...

Looking at Mr Cornwell's splendid resource, I agree with you on the difference in design between the Atlas and Thorn products. Interesting how the Atlas version was destined to have a relatively short life in production - do any still exist?

Presumably, the introduction of moulded GRP in later years allowed Thorn to offer their interpretation of the Alpha 6.