It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:44 am 

Hi, after years of interest in street lighting, I am interested in collecting one or two Philips MA60 (later SRS201) lanterns, both with a gear compartment (see http://www.streetlightonline.co.uk/MA60_photographs.htm for example images of what I refer to).

They are quickly disappearing from London, with nearly all of them gone in favour of LED lighting (which is understandable due to energy efficiency).

I am not sure if Highways England or TfL have any new-old stock made redundant by the switch to LED.

Just one serious problem: how am I going to be able to do this legally?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:48 am 
Site Administration

Welcome to Ukastle. In answer to your question, I would suggest reading our Guidance for collectors.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:56 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Welcome :)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:37 am 
Random avatar

Hi! I'm Z95454 (you can just call me Jack).

I've had an interest in street lighting since I was a kid, watching the SOX warm up is what made me like street lighting.

My username is Z95454 because they're my favourite lantern type. Another reason is because they were installed back in the 80's when I was little and I would always watch them warm-up. They are still installed today and running SOX.

I live in Sandwell in the West Midlands where there is many streets lit by SOX which aren't being replaced anytime soon.

Sandwell still has many Alpha 1's still going. Small number of SOX GEC Turtles aswell.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:12 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Welcome Jack!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:42 am 
Random avatar

Greetings from Forsyth county Georgia, USA! Where I live SOX lighting is virtually non-existent. Almost no one here even knows the technology exists! People I show SOX lighting to are usually intrigued and amazed by it and its effects.  My experience with roadway lighting  has mostly consisted of mercury vapor and high pressure sodium technologies. I recently learned about SOX technology and have been very interested in it ever since. I currently own a Z9554, a late model side entry Beta 5, a Thorn 200w SLI/H lamp and a small variety of SOX lamps in different wattages. Most of my SOX collection has been acquired from eBay UK as SOX availability is much more limited and expensive here (especially for 120v compatible gear). I am exited to join in and learn more about UK lighting in addition to hopefully visit one day soon to see some actual SOX installations in person!

Cheers!

-Andy (589)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:47 pm 

589 wrote:
Greetings from Forsyth county Georgia, USA! Where I live SOX lighting is virtually non-existent...

A pleasure to welcome you on board, Andy.

Such a long way away, yet even in the US, the march of LED is removing much of what I would call traditional American streetlighting.

Whilst I would suspect the typical mercury burning cobra lantern (as often seen in TV cop shows of the 70s and 80s) will have been updated to SON years ago, it seems that even these are now under threat.

Whilst SOX didn't achieve the same popularity as white light sources, it did find use in some installations.

The following picture is taken from the front sleeve of an 1980s jazz inspired album entitled "Changes". Featuring Keith Jarret, Gary Peacock and Jack Dejohnette, the picture by Rose Anne Colavito shows what appears to be an old Woolworths store being demolished.

What is particularly interesting is that the SOX lantern featured in the picture looks like a GEC Z9454.

Attachments:
Scaus2.jpg
Scaus2.jpg [ 2.98 MiB | Viewed 66534 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:51 am 
Random avatar

Hi there I am SpeedStar