It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Motorway Lighting
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:50 pm 
Formerly Paspie

Junction 6 now has an annoying SON retrofit (probably an Iridium or Sapphire) on the northbound offslip though. A shame, since that junction was practically clean from that sort of thing only six months ago. On the plus side, it appears the wiring was eventually fixed in the Catenary rig, it seems to be working quite well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:55 pm 
Formerly Paspie

On Saturday I embarked on an excursion to record SOX lighting on the A1(M) and the M1 near London. Sadly I had not enough tape for the M1 part, it ran out at Junction 4 heaving north. That was despite being super economical and stopping the camera for the intermediate unlit section on the A1(M). Anyway, the final product is below. There are more details as to the production in the video description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3nEzi20nnw

Last edited by Paianni on Wed May 10, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:57 pm 
Random avatar

Can anyone tell me if the M1 at Kegworth (East Midlands Airport) is still lit by SOX? I was hoping to go down there to get some pictures this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:39 pm 
Site Administration

It was about 6 months ago, I haven't heard of any works to replace them.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:42 pm 

Yes, still lit with SOX as of the other week when I drove past. Nice installation group switched in sections so makes for a nice light show around dusk, particularly when a huge section just comes on and glows the nostalgic neon red.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:59 pm 

At the top end of the M3, the works to upgrade the M3 to a smart motorway are supposedly only a couple of months away from completion. There is no evidence of lighting going back on the main carriageway. Furthermore, whilst I only passed through on the M3 main carriageway, I only saw column replacements on the M25 clockwise to M3 southbound slip road, with new Stainton octagonal steel hockey sticks fitted with Phosco P850 lanterns. The majority of link roads at the junction had lighting untouched. It remains to be seen, but it is looking increasingly like the main carriageway is going to remain unlit whilst the SOX on the slip roads gets a reprieve until a later date.

Further north at junction 1, there have been fairly recent column replacements on the slip roads in the form of P850s on tapered aluminium columns. On the south facing slip roads, there are only a few new columns at the roundabout end of the slip roads. I don't have time travel on the Google Street View on my computer, but I suspect the previous lighting used to go all along the slip roads. Where the south facing slip roads meet the main carriageway, there are still the verge mounted 1970s columns with SGS203s fitted, and the main carriageway is still lit from the central reserve at this point. However, I wonder if this will still be the case in years to come. The M3 within the M25 is a very quiet motorway.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:35 pm 
Random avatar

halowraith1 wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the M1 at Kegworth (East Midlands Airport) is still lit by SOX? I was hoping to go down there to get some pictures this weekend.

Today starts the upgrade in the area to a smart motorway, and driving down this morning I noticed that quite a few lights were now out. This could well be the beginning of the end for SOX lighting around the airport.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:18 pm 
Site Administration

At J1 of the M3 at Sunbury Cross, the bridges of the roundabout over the A308 below still have the remains of the original SOX bricks, although now fitted with SON lamps. The nearest has lost its bowl, but both are working at night. Those on the other side of the roundabout maybe out of use as there are columns with lanterns on that side.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:25 pm 
Site Administration

peter_sharp1uk wrote:
halowraith1 wrote:

Today starts the upgrade in the area to a smart motorway, and driving down this morning I noticed that quite a few lights were now out. This could well be the beginning of the end for SOX lighting around the airport.

At the wknd, all of the SOX lighting was still in place except for this short section on the left hand slip road up to the gantry in the background at J23a. The columns were still there but the brackets and lanterns had been removed, with some brackets still in the verge.

Meanwhile the SOX lighting on the M69 is in poor condition especially at the southern end approaching Coventry. 2 fold down columns under power lines have been cut off at their bases, presumably due to structural issues with the columns. There are also further cut down columns. At J2, these columns are still lanternless.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:52 pm 
Site Administration

Back in January 2017, I wrote:
Spotted by sotonsteve at the end of last year and captured on dashcam today (so quality not great), are changes to the lighting at the M25 J12/M3 J2 Thorpe interchange. There has been some modification of the lighting on the M25 clockwise (wb) to M3 south, slip.

The Philips MAs are still there at the start of the slip and were working in November, but immediately past the footbridge which crosses the carriageway, 3 temporary columns have been installed high up on the left hand side of the cutting, each fitted with SON Sapphires, post top mounted. This image shows the 2nd (left) and 3rd columns (above blue sign). The 3rd lantern is dayburning, the 1st column is behind the camera. GEC bricks background right.

At the point the slip splits for Southampton and Richmond, three of the original columns have had their GEC bricks removed, and been fitted with SON Sapphires.

This image shows (left) the 1st and 2nd columns. Third lantern is behind the gantry and is dayburning.

The GEC lanterns behind the gantry on the left, weren't working in November 2016.

Well the columns in the first picture have been removed, as have the SON fitted columns in the 2nd picture and replaced with new Stainton folded metal (hex) style columns with short brackets and what I believe are Phosco P850 LED lanterns.

They are the same as in this next image which shows the view beyond the gantry in my original post. Its a dash cam pic so not the best quality and not helped by the sun being on the camera. All of the original columns on this slip road have also been removed. Some what ironic that the new columns are very similar to the old, and the side profile and length of the LED lanterns, similar to the GEC bricks that they have replaced.

Is this the first use of LED on the M25? (although I suppose technically this is probably the M3  ;) )

Profile  Personal album