It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Filters on LED lamps
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:28 pm 
Random avatar

The switch from sodium-based lighting to LED is quite shockingly fast in my area; a nasty surprise if I do say so. What I want to know is, rather than going straight from orange to bright white (which has been said to cause some issues with sleep; not to mention that it, in my opinion, looks ugly and unnatural), why can't they install orange/yellow filters on the fixtures? That way the government can be satisfied with their energy advantages, and the populace isn't too disturbed by a sudden change. Somehow that orange tint was part of the nightlife. Now it's all blindingly bright and shiny; not at all what night-time should be. Also, wouldn't the orange light be easier to work with for astronomers?

I don't know the technical or logistical feasibility of this; after all I'm simply nostalgic for that orange glow. Sad to see it go.

Post subject: Re: Filters on LED lamps
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:49 pm 
Site Administration

White light LEDs are the most efficient from a power to lumen point of view. White light is also perceived by the eye to be brighter, which allows a reduction in lumens compared to SOX or SON.

British Standards also state that monochromatic light is to be avoided to ensure better colour rendering - red colours look black under SOX for instance.

More of sn issue - and one which your area may/seems to suffer from - is LED retrofits to older columns with either a too high lumen rating, or not considering the effect of the existing bracket on optical performance, both leading to glary lighting.

As for astronomy, the sheer amount of uncontrolled light at night is the main problem -
streetlighting is only a fraction of this light pollution. This makes astronomy now impractical in built up areas.

The orange/yellow glow is also only fairly recent, lighting before was either mercury or incandescent, and going further back, moonlight is white light.  ;)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:49 pm 
Random avatar

So is sodium lighting going to disappear forever?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:56 pm 
Formerly Paspie

Phosco152 wrote:
The orange/yellow glow is also only fairly recent, lighting before was either mercury or incandescent, and going further back, moonlight is white light.  ;)
Candlelight? Kerosene lamps? Torches?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:12 am 

I`ve seen this same debate on so many lighting forums, indeed I was involved in one the other day.
4000K light at night is so much better than orange!, and this time last year we started to loose our SOX /SON for Philip`s Uni-Streets, now a year on we have 7 remaining SOX, and just 3 SON left in my entire town!
And the improvement is way better, I take our dog out at 5 each morning, and to be able to walk under 4000K of white light I can see so much better than I did under SOX lamps.

Now I know the LPS lamp allows the human eye to have a higher visual acuity, but I`m starting to question this long established fact!, for instance, a bush by a gateway can look like a person standing there under SOX light in the early morning darkness, as eveything looks dark greys and blacks, under our new LED lantens, (and their not even blinding bright ones), the same bush looks like what it is, because I can see the colour in it, I can see what it actually is!

I say this as my, somewhat antisocial German Shepard, Ash, doesn`t do random people standing in gateways early in the morning! :o , and I have to cross over the road to avoid a possible confrontation!
With the new street lighting I can see so much better, (and I think Ash can also), and its a nicer place to be, being able to see the colours of the trees, grass, and hedgerows, rater than everything monochrome.

I remember the change from mercury lighting to SOX in the late 70s, it was low pressure sodium lights that got me interested in lighting in the first place, but now at 45, I have to say, I`m not sorry to see sodium lighting go!, (must be an age thing)? ;)