It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:25 pm 
Site Administration

Typical ill informed comment by someone who should know better when justifying expenditure of public money. You are of course right, but quality SOX lamps such as Philips PSG types, actually last close to 6 years.

If the LED lanterns only last 10 years, I would be asking for my money back! Anyway that can be discussed elsewhere, to keep this thread on topic.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:14 pm 

Yes I have a 35W SOX-PSG with an install date of 2011, and it still works, although it starts a bright red, so probably hasn't got long left.

I wonder if any other collectors saw Mike's collection on the One Show?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:50 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

RE: Mike on One Show

Old news now, but as iPlayer links expire I have been meaning to share with you all the YouTube one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h09pxfxM-5c

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:41 am 

This is probably old news considering it was produced in 1990, however in the film "Total Recall", if you study the streetscenes both on earth and on Mars, a lot of use is made of tubular fluorescent fittings as amenity lighting, as well as in other areas such as the subway.

However, if you then have a nose at the scenes involving "sector G" (where the mutant red light district is based along with that big ventilation fan), you will notice not only more fluorescent lighting but also what look to be SOX lanterns. They look to be either 18W or 35W ratings although only mounted around 3m off the ground. The lanterns look like Philips designs or chopped down Alpha 4s, although they might be US made industrial fittings.

Enclosed are a couple of screenshots captured whilst the film was being shown during Christmas.

Perhaps this explains why the surface of Mars is red - it'll be all those sox lamps!

Attachments:
tr2.JPG
tr2.JPG [ 308.57 KiB | Viewed 28065 times ]
tr1.JPG
tr1.JPG [ 359.56 KiB | Viewed 28065 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:50 am 

Those appear to be the 1st generation Philips Goldfinger, which I believe was a Canadian Philips product.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:31 pm 

The inclusion of streetlighting on TV or film either as part of the storyline or simply forming part of the location is nothing unusual, as previous posts will confirm.

However, you may have also noticed that it is also beginning to feature in the adverts, which disturb our evening viewing.

A recent example is one of the new Channel 4 indents, which comprise of the numeral itself turned into a huge stainless steel construction. Based on human form, it can walk, run and even play football - tell me you have seen it!

Anyway, one of these short indents features the logo joining in with a small team of wheelchair athletes. Although initially maintaining the speed, he/she/it soon runs out of puff and ends up leaning on a lighting column to get some recovery. Obviously, this involves a lot of CGI, but as a bit of fun it is quite good.

For something a bit more realistic, a second advert which is worthy of note was shown a little while ago, for the fashion website "very.co.uk".

It features 3 models strolling down a street inspired catwalk towards their destination - the fashion house presumably.

The interesting thing is the set designers have obviously thought a street needs proper streetlighting. It looks like Philips MI36s have been employed but with PLs rather than SOX. The columns only look to be around 3m, however it all combines to create a view quite satisfying to the eye.

Probably totally inappropriate to comment further, however the models look quite nice too!

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 620.33 KiB | Viewed 27928 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 714.64 KiB | Viewed 27926 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:50 pm 

Further to streetlighting appearing in films, I have found that you just can't beat those old iconic TV series of the 70s and 80s. The Sweeney or The Professionals are a good examples, with streets lined with fluorescent or Mercury lanterns, usually amongst some very derelict parts of London.

What I have noticed though as I have got older, is when you remember streetlighting appearing in some of the less common shows. One such example is Sue Townsend's "The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole" produced in the early 80s by Thames Television.

One episode I particularly remember, was when the Royal Wedding of Charles and Diana was an integral part of the plot. A large street party was organised by all the neighbours, with one of them scaling one of the street's lighting columns at night to affix some bunting. The lantern is seen in operation (occupying most of the shot). No doubt the molten sodium would have been pretty shook up during the operations.

Back then, there was no "catch up TV", just vhs video recorders - remember those?

Anyway, I have recently discovered the whole series is on YT, so I have now recaptured my youth and even found the portion which features the very same streetlamp!

Back then, I always had difficulty in working out who made this lantern. Being a bit tricky to scale in relation to the character next to it, I thought back then it was an Eleco type. Even now,  I can't quite decide if it is a 35W or 55W rating. Apart from that aspect, it looks like it has a GRP canopy plus the fact that the bowl hinges sideways.

Although I couldn't identify it back then, more recent, researching with Mr Cornwell's excellent resource, lends me to think it is a "New Sodium / A42.131 or 132 by Relite. The 55W version is longer and the photocell position looks to be more off centre towards to spigot end than the 35W version, however if anyone can confirm any of this, please do.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 778.7 KiB | Viewed 27909 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 590.74 KiB | Viewed 27909 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:10 pm 

Looks like a Simplex Aries

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:30 pm 

sotonsteve wrote:
Looks like a Simplex Aries

Thanks for your input, sotonsteve.

Since looking at some examples of the Aries, especially the 55W version, I am now more confident in thinking the lantern featured in the screenshot is a 35W after all. As mentioned in my previous posting, the PEC position is more central in relation to the bowl clips. Another clue is that the vertical refractors as found on the 55W bowl are omitted. It looks to be an integral geared lantern too.

According to Simon's website, the Relite "new Sodium" range was rebranded as Aries and Gemini before the company was taken over by Simplex. The products retained these names until the demise of Simplex itself.

I imagine the lighting installation on this street, would be into its second or third set of lanterns by now - and probably not even SON.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:50 pm 

Alex wrote:
RE: Mike on One Show

Old news now, but as iPlayer links expire I have been meaning to share with you all the YouTube one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h09pxfxM-5c

I remember visiting Mike's a few years ago with a number of other collectors and being awestruck by his collection and the way he has displayed it. There was stuff in his loft that I hadn't seen since I was a small kid.

On a side note (this is sadly off-topic, but bear with me), I have to agree with the artist Chris Cyprus featured in the report. The juxtaposition of sodium street lighting against a blue dusk sky (or blue dawn sky if you're up early enough) really is a thing of beauty. Many of my non-photography friends think I'm daft when I suggest dawn or dusk is the best time of day to photograph a street scene with impact. I won't fill this thread up with off-topic pictures, but I will share a few to illustrate where the artist is coming from.

Thornwood in Colchester is lit with 35W SOX Phosco P107s. Here is a photograph of the road in daylight taken in December 2017.

A few hours later the same scene looked like this. Photograph taken in December 2017.

The reason why SOX lighting and a dusk sky appear to look good together may be explained by the colour wheel, where colours diagonally opposite each other are considered as complementary.

A second example of SOX against a blue dusk sky. These are old-style Philips MA90s (with the streamline shoe) in Mason Road, Colchester photographed in December 2017.

As the colour temperatures of SOX and SON are close together, SON lighting also complements a dusk blue sky...

These SON-running Thorn Gamma Sevens light the access road into Colchester General Hospital. Photograph taken in December 2017.

Even MBF gets in on the act. Blue and green are considered to create an analogous harmony on the colour wheel, and this makes the combination of mercury lighting and a dark blue sky also pleasing to the eye...

One of two Phosco P177s that I know of in St. Osyth, near Clacton-on-Sea, which escaped being replaced with SOX in the 1980s. Photograph taken in October 2017.

Or perhaps these colour combinations look pleasing to our eyes because we are just glad to see them. You'll notice that the centre of the colour wheel - which cannot be readily paired with anything - is pure white ...or LED as we know it!

I do feel for the artist Chris Cyprus featured on the One Show. He has the much more difficult job of painting these scenes when even a street lighting enthusiast with a camera would be seriously pushed for time under such circumstances. The blue sky of dusk always fades to black within 15 to 20 minutes.