It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:53 am 
Random avatar

JakeB wrote:
its_chris_2003 wrote:
This is quite common at Tesco and Sainsbury's, but can anyone identify this model of lamp please. I'm making a list of streetlight models for asset creators in cities skylines so I wanted this for a supermarket car park. Thanks!

It's an AEC Lunoide (although I'm pretty sure I've seen it appear under different brands before)

Are you sure it's an AEC Lunoide? A quick search brought up no models like this, only ones without the little "kink" in the bottom and the bowled equivalents. I'm wondering whether another company copied the design, then edited it slightly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:36 am 
Random avatar

its_chris_2003 wrote:
JakeB wrote:
its_chris_2003 wrote:
This is quite common at Tesco and Sainsbury's, but can anyone identify this model of lamp please. I'm making a list of streetlight models for asset creators in cities skylines so I wanted this for a supermarket car park. Thanks!

It's an AEC Lunoide (although I'm pretty sure I've seen it appear under different brands before)

Are you sure it's an AEC Lunoide? A quick search brought up no models like this, only ones without the little "kink" in the bottom and the bowled equivalents. I'm wondering whether another company copied the design, then edited it slightly.

Actually I think you may be correct. I can see what you mean about them being subtly different. I'll keep searching.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:10 pm 
Site Administration

Abacus have a LED version of the Orion car park lantern. The Orion actually dates back to 1999. The catalogue page dates back to 2017.

It appears however that there may be a new version, without the bowl and a smaller canopy. Spotted this week in an Asda car park.

Whilst it is possible the lantern is from another manufacturer, the design of the column spigot is very similar/identical to that of the Orion.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:49 pm 

I've seen them used to replace HID Orions at Asda and Tesco stores.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:38 pm 
Random avatar

Thanks to the Top Gear Facebook page, I've just stumbled across a whole archive that Sainsbury's has kept of photos of its car parks from over the years! There's a great variety of streetlights to be seen here: Phosco P178s and P222s, Alpha 3s, SGS203s, ZX3s, various globe lanterns...check it out on the link below:

https://sainsburyarchive.org.uk/catalog ... 013&page=7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:55 am 
Random avatar

Sainsbury's in my county use rather generic car park lighting, the Bedford (Clapham Road) store uses ZX3's but on the other hand the Kempston store used to use globe lanterns which were replaced in about 2013-14 with Abacus Mini Orions. Biggleswade also uses ZX3s, odd LED lanterns can be found at the Dunstable store, SGS 203's at Luton Central, and formally Phosco P222s at Luton Marsh Farm which were replaced by Orions, then the Orions had a few casual replacements of Holophane Vista Grandes and now all of them have been replaced by LED Orions.
Google Street View links:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.14563 ... 384!8i8192
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.11710 ... 384!8i8192
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.09297 ... 384!8i8192
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.92049 ... 312!8i6656
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.88262 ... 312!8i6656
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.88895 ... 312!8i6656
Edit: Driving back from the dentist yesterday, I noticed that the Clapham Road ZX3s had been replaced by TRT Aspects on the entrance and those weird Orion type things in the car park, that's another use for the Aspect in my county, the previous use being at my school.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:49 pm 
Random avatar

Looks like LED lanterns have appeared at my local Sainsbury's! I noticed recently from a passing train that all the SGS203s (and casual replacement ZX3s, a Kingfisher Lunoide and some unknown lanterns) and their side entry adapters have all been retrofitted with what I think are Philips Stela Rounds. The SGS203s (and a couple of unknown casual replacements) lighting the service road into the store and at least one on the edge of the car park shrouded by trees, however, still remain, although most of them are unlit! There's a chance they may survive replacement, as if the Stela Rounds are fitted, they would be lost among the trees lining the road. However, judging by the fact that most of the SGS203s are unlit, I'm not banking on it! There's always the possibility that the trees can be cut back and the Stela Rounds installed. That just remains to be seen! But, in the car park, it's RIP the SGS203s that were original to the store being built in 1986, so they had a good long run of 35 years!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:14 pm 
Random avatar

An update on the lighting in my local Sainsbury's car park:

All but one of the remaining SGS203s around the edge of the car park have been retrofitted with Stela Rounds (or whatever these lanterns are) with anti-glare shields fitted, despite them being under trees, to prevent glare into the windows of the houses at the top of the embankment around the edge of the car park. The sole surviving SGS203 in the car park is tucked away in a far corner, by the motorcycle parking area and cash machine (it's just about visible under the trees here). It being slightly hidden is probably why it's survived. What looks like a TRT Aspect has also appeared as a casual replacement for an unknown lantern (itself a casual replacement of an SGS203) lighting the entrance to the delivery bay (it's completely shrouded by trees in the 2021 Streetview, so there's no point in me posting a link to it). The SGS203s lighting the long access road to the store are still clinging on.

Last edited by Ro Jo Jnr on Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:48 pm 
Random avatar

It seems that TRT Aspects and Stela Rounds are becoming very popular for a lot of supermarket chains' car parks all across the UK.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:53 pm 
Random avatar

SpeedStar wrote:
It seems that TRT Aspects and Stela Rounds are becoming very popular for a lot of supermarket chains' car parks all across the UK.

Yeah, it certainly seems that way! One of my local Tesco Extras uses TRT Aspects to light the entrance road to the petrol station and the same lanterns at my local Sainsbury's to light the car park, all replacing Abacus Orions. I'm not sure if the lanterns are Stela Rounds, by the way. It's just the closest lantern I could find to them. The Tesco examples give us a better look at the lanterns, as they're mounted on lower columns and the Streetview goes a lot closer to them. It's very sad how even supermarket car park lighting is becoming very uniform and has lost its identity, especially as my local authority now uses nothing but TRT Aspects!