It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:31 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

There is a considerable amount of SOX in the outskirts of Birmingham in the Aldridge area. I spotted plenty of Alpha 1s on concrete columns, for example.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:30 pm 
Random avatar

Alex wrote:
There is a considerable amount of SOX in the outskirts of Birmingham in the Aldridge area. I spotted plenty of Alpha 1s on concrete columns, for example.

Yes, there is loads of SOX in Sandwell, Dudley and Wolverhampton. Loads of Alpha 1's, 1960's GEC Z9554/M's, various Beta 2's and 5's from different ages. Thorn Alpha 4's, Alpha 9's. There's a number of Eleco lanterns as well.

Aldridge is Walsall, who have not operated SOX for over a decade. Birmingham have a small number of SOX left, very few SOX Z8526/36's left now, the number is decreasing as the PFI is ongoing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:25 pm 
Random avatar

Ugh, I spit on LEDs, wish we could fight back somehow; is yellow/orange light really too much to ask for?

I suppose mid-town scenes like this are a thing of the past now: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.8526155,-1.532557,3a,75y,358.43h,85.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slVH-RlhXnyTN5eKCzB6CMQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 (make sure to be in 2008 view)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:05 am 
Random avatar

Teesside still has a tiny bit of SOX left (pretty much none in Stockton on Tees after their "upgrade" which killed off ancient MBF and SOX lanterns). Middlesbrough has some (links at bottom) but sadly that's about it.
However I will be travelling to Bury in Greater Manchester on Saturday and last time I was there, a sizeable amount of SOX lanterns were still in use including some real oldies and I will be sure to get some pics

Middlesbrough SOX: https://www.google.com/maps/@54.5575017 ... 312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.5222584 ... 312!8i6656
Quite a variety of lanterns: https://www.google.com/maps/@54.5228073 ... 312!8i6656
Classic GEC post top: https://www.google.com/maps/@54.5652028 ... 312!8i6656

Sadly we don't really have any MBF left but there is still quite a few concrete columns around.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:28 am 
Random avatar

GreatNorburyStDepot wrote:
Whilst I'm sure there are plenty of Ukastle members who can point you in the right direction, it often brings much relief to those discovering that a particular area still retains its SOX lighting, despite the move by neighbouring LAs to shift over to LEDs.

From my own experience, SOX in Greater Manchester has been on the decline for a while. The largest loss was around 2007 with the Amey PFI scheme for Manchester Council. This was probably the last bastion for Atlas Amber Minors, Eleco and Phosware lanterns (not forgetting all the GR150s, 102s and 200s).

Meanwhile, Trafford MBC is well advanced on a programme which will see off both SOX and SON in favour of LEDs, although most of the existing columns (including concretes) are being reused.

The only other borough which maintains any sizeable SOX content is Stockport MBC (nearby Tameside abandoned SOX from the early 90s onwards).

Whilst the 135W lantern is pretty much extinct here as a result of the "Cosmops", the side streets of many districts have for the most part retained their Beta 5s, Gamma 6s, MI50s and MI36s. These include Reddish, Woodley, Romiley, Hazel Grove, Bramhall and Marple. There have been casual replacements of some of them with either LED or QSMs. or the occasional WRTL Libra.

2017 brought in an interesting change, in terms of Stockport's elderly CU / S&S 5m concretes. Whilst those found to be unsound have been replaced, others with just spalling bracket arms are being sleeved to 6m, but the existing lantern ie a Beta 5 is being refitted. Whilst it may be a short term economy measure, it is perhaps good to see the re-use of these lanterns.

Although outside the scope of Stockport MBC, another area where SOX is still to be found (and maintained it seems) is the stretch of the M60 from J25 (Bredbury) to J24 (Denton Island). Whilst the nearby M67 SOX has been shamefully allowed to almost completely die out, the M60 portion is still in pretty good shape. A further line of SOX (albeit quite short) can be found further down from J1 (Stockport Pyramid). The whole stretch of what was previously the M63 was lit with MA60s. This section is all that remains, following a relighting to SON a few years ago.

Hopefully Stockport and other areas will still be a haven for SOX , even after "deadendwaterfall" has been awarded his driving licence.

I live in greater Manchester now and even in the last 2 years the decline of SOX has been very rapid. Areas like Clifton and Farnworth which a couple of years ago still had a good bit of main road wattage SOX have now by and large chopped it for LED.

To answer the OP there is still some SOX on the M60 particularly around the Cheadle/Stockport and North Eastern stretches but I suspect one will have to be quick to see it. When I first went around the M60 in 2014 it was covered in entire swathes from edge to edge with SOX now it's only there in small sections. The northern parts just outside Prestwich used to be one of the best areas to see it but ever since they did the work on the motorway they took a lot of it away and some of it is still in darkness.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:35 pm 
Site Administration

The A1 at Biggleswade, in Bedfordshire still has SOX in good working order.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:20 pm 
Random avatar

Glasgow still has plenty particularly off the main roads.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:31 pm 
Random avatar

scott125 wrote:
Glasgow still has plenty particularly off the main roads.

Yep, I can vouch for that, there is even still tons of SOX on the road right outside my flat.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:39 pm 
Site Administration

Flying over Glasgow at night, the majority of lighting is now LED, with some SON and not much SOX left. However some SOX installations still exist, even in the city centre.

This example with Thorn Alpha 4s.

This harks back to the early 1970s, big curved twin brackets with Alpha 4s (and a few casual replacements).

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:00 pm 

Looking down the road at those double curved brackets, it looks like the original lanterns were GEC Bricks. Another here.

Profile  Personal album