It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: South Coast PFI
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:13 pm 
Site Administration

The dimming down at 2330 is a stepped/abrupt change rather than a gradual fade.

The A33 Kings Worthy/B3047 London Rd junction in Winchester, was unlit, but recently new 8m mid hinged columns with Lumas have been installed. The columns are quite a bit away from the road in the verge, presumably that is why they are mid hinged types.

Nearby in Park Road, an accident damaged 5m column has been replaced with a Stainton column, but a hockey stick style one - very late 1990s.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:21 pm 

Cranford Road in Petersfield now has flat-glass Libras. Previously the Libras were standard. I assume they have had LED retrofits, but I've never seen a flat glass Libra before.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:14 am 

sotonsteve wrote:
Cranford Road in Petersfield now has flat-glass Libras. Previously the Libras were standard. I assume they have had LED retrofits, but I've never seen a flat glass Libra before.

Having seen them at night, I'm wondering if they are Pudsey Diamond Paragon Libra retrofits. Lots of LED retrofits involve swapping out gear trays, but the Pudsey Diamond retrofits involve removing the bowls too.

Meanwhile, in Gosport I've noticed that some of the Millennium navigator's lanterns in Haslar Way have had their optics swapped out for LED panels. Unlike Portsmouth, whose Millennium navigator's lanterns were made by DW Windsor, those in Gosport were CU Phosco and had optics like P678s and P680s.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:09 am 
Site Administration

If they are PD Paragons, then I don't think much of the thermal management design. No heatsink for the LED module apart from the baseplate - which can't really dissipate heat as its under the canopy, plus the driver module is also on the same baseplate.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:23 pm 

With part night lighting due to start in Hampshire in the next couple of weeks, maps showing part night versus all night have been released. See maps in link here.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:53 pm 

The Redbridge Causeway high masts have now been replaced. Heading over the River Test, much like what happened on the Southampton part a couple of years ago, bespoke 15 metre columns have been made up to bolt into the existing high mast foundations. West of here, the high masts have just been replaced with conventional columns. Two high masts remain nestled within the overhead power cables but with the head gear and lanterns removed. I wonder how long it will be before these get removed, as they will need to isolate the overhead cables to take them down.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:05 pm 

West Sussex is going to roll out LED.

Quote:
Release date: 11 July 2019

A street lighting conversion scheme, which will cut electricity usage, maintenance costs and carbon emissions, is set to be rolled out across West Sussex over the next six years.

Converting 64,000 street lights to LED lamps will cost about £26.5million during a 25-year loan: but the total reduction in electricity and maintenance costs will save the council £90.1million over that same period.

Under the scheme, a remote monitoring system will be introduced to control the lights and also monitor and identify faults. This will help cut costs due to fewer site visits and reducing the need for temporary traffic lights and traffic management during maintenance - therefore reducing delays for road users.

Roger Elkins, Cabinet Member for Highways and Infrastructure, said: “This is a ‘win, win’ for residents and the environment, with reduced electricity and maintenance costs and a 17 per cent decrease in the council’s total carbon emissions.

“The decision to roll-out the scheme, which is subject to the council’s usual call-in period, comes soon after we launched our online climate change campaign. It shows our clear commitment to the West Sussex Climate Pledge and the practical, cost-effective measures we are taking to cut carbon emissions

“The LED lamps are also designed to have a cleaner ‘cut-off’ of light, so they are efficient at directing light where it’s needed, which also supports a darker sky initiative .”

LED technology has improved in recent years and these units can generate the same amount of light as traditional lanterns but using a lot less energy. They also have a much longer ‘lifespan’: traditional lighting needs lamp changes every four years – LEDs will last around 100,000 hours, which equates to approximately 20 years in our existing part-night areas.

There are already about 2,000 LED lamps in use in the county, with the majority of the South Downs National Park converted to help the dark sky initiative.

The PFI only commenced 9 years ago, and West Sussex has relatively low energy discharge lighting anyway, with many residential streets having 36w and 55w compact fluorescent and a long established part night scheme (never went full night decades ago when other counties went full night).

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:34 pm 

The estate where I live started to be built before the South Coast PFI started and was finished once the PFI was in operation. As such, the estate was a mix of both what was specified before the PFI and what was specified during the PFI, so a mix of Urbis ZXU1s running SON and Indal Libras running PL-L. The PFI swept through and saw close to all lanterns replaced or upgraded. However, as my estate had not been adopted by the council, it was not touched by the PFI. As such, it remained in a time warp and one of the few places in Hampshire where residential streets were still lit by SON.

Today I spotted that a large number of the ZXU1s have now been replaced with Libras, so the lighting on the estate is being brought up to current PFI lighting standards, likely in readiness for long overdue highway adoption. I suspect over the next few days replacements will continue. I cannot imagine that after the estate has been upgraded that there will be any installations on this scale of Libras in the county ever again, with only casual replacements using Libras, as new developments are now LED.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:50 pm 

There have been something like five return visits by lighting crews to my estate to do lantern swaps and node fittings. Conversions are still not complete, with a few ZXU1s, a few Libras on photocells and a Sapphire 1 still remaining. The other night, I woke in the night and looked out of the window. The footways on the estate are now under the part night lighting regime, but the roads are not. A check of the fault reporting map showed the footway lighting but not the lighting on the roads, so the adoption of lighting appears very piecemeal.

Meanwhile, in Southampton there were a few installations not replaced as they fell under the jurisdiction of housing associations, despite them previously being maintained under the same regime as council street lighting. I've spotted a couple of Malagas and MI26s which have been relamped with LED lamps where the SON and SOX lamps have failed. There are still three GEC ZD815s burning mercury in the city, of which one is very dim and probably has a lamp that is a couple of decades old, and the other two are starting to lose their brightness having not been relamped for several years now.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:27 pm 

sotonsteve wrote:
There have been something like five return visits by lighting crews to my estate to do lantern swaps and node fittings. Conversions are still not complete, with a few ZXU1s, a few Libras on photocells and a Sapphire 1 still remaining. The other night, I woke in the night and looked out of the window. The footways on the estate are now under the part night lighting regime, but the roads are not. A check of the fault reporting map showed the footway lighting but not the lighting on the roads, so the adoption of lighting appears very piecemeal.

Since my last post, there have been at least another three return visits to my estate to pick at it more. No lockdown was going to stop the slow progress being made, and today the bucket van returned for another visit. I would need to have a check round the estate, but I think the last lantern may have now been replaced, and that they may have now fitted nodes to all the remaining Libras that had photocells. No further columns have appeared on the fault reporting map of yet, but surely we must almost be there.

EDIT: only one column requires upgrading; a 24W Libra with a photocell. Whoops, there's another visit for another day. Talk about incompetent. Will they swap the Libra for a 36W Libra like elsewhere on the estate or just fit a node?There are also about three columns that never had a service transfer. One is currently having this done. Question is, will they do the other two? There is also a missing column that was never installed on an adjacent road where the lighting is all adopted, and on the fault reporting map you can see a gap in the numbering sequence for it. Will it ever get installed?

Profile  Personal album