It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Axia 3
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:35 pm 
Random avatar

Urbis have recently launched the Axia 3. This is even more of a departure from the original series 1 Axia. They are aluminium with a plastic lower gear cover. The LED array is a protrusion out the front. All in all a cheaper design and bloody horrid looking! We're about to fit 10000 across residential areas of Devon so there will be plenty to see. I will try and upload a photo of a sample i saw recently.

Attachments:
20190423_144011.jpg
20190423_144011.jpg [ 3.19 MiB | Viewed 18314 times ]

Post subject: Re: Axia 3
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:03 pm 

Not pretty at all. What was wrong with the Axia 2 then? That's not that old.

Where are replacements being targeted in Devon? Any particular lamp type or lantern types?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:33 am 
Random avatar

sotonsteve wrote:
Not pretty at all. What was wrong with the Axia 2 then? That's not that old.
Where are replacements being targeted in Devon? Any particular lamp type or lantern types?

Hi Steve. No they're awful looking! According to the rep, the design is a result of the current  market where everyone wants cheaper products with lower whole life costs. The original Axia had a lot of heavy aluminium and complicated tooling. This was reduced in the Axia 2.1/2.2 with a smaller lantern with less aluminium. Now the Axia 3.1 has got even less aluminium and more plastic,  and is provided prewired to suggest zero maintenance. Only time will tell I guess...

They have selected 10000 units grouped in market town areas. This includes 3000 in the Plymouth area. The works will cover side roads and utilise warm white LEDs and 16 LED luminaires on the majority of roads.

The areas will include some that you are familiar with!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:36 am 
Random avatar

It seems a lot of manufacturers like jumping between functional and aesthetic designs within their own product ranges. I've always seen the Axia as premium lantern and the Ampera as the functional one.

Another example of this is the DW Kirium which started life as quite a nice looking lantern but then seems to have merged into an Amperia-impostor with the Kirium Pro.

There certainly seems to be a shift recently towards functional boxy LED luminaries though...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:03 pm 

I don’t mind the small and the medium version of the Axia 3, but the large version is much badly proportioned which makes it look disarranged on an outreach arm bracket. They should’ve extended the canopy like they did with the large Axia 2, or redesign the part where the lantern body meets the spigot mounting block (the Kirium Eco Max is a great example of this).

Profile  Personal album