It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Motorway Lighting
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:54 pm 
Random avatar

GreatNorburyStDepot wrote:
GreatNorburyStDepot wrote:
Re: M60 Lighting.

Returning through the Stockport section that night, the stretch of SOX at J1 (Town centre), was showing early signs of failure, with several lanterns out. Unless the bulk relamping teams are behind schedule, I do wonder if SOX lighting here is destined to go the same way, as on the erstwhile M67 towards Hyde.

Since this report was posted, the central res' stretch of MA SOX at J1, continued on a spiral of decline, with more lanterns increasingly out of use.

However, following a late night return home on Sat 22nd Dec,  I am pleased to report that the whole stretch seems to have been bulk relamped, with all the lanterns back in full glow.

I wonder if the HA are using up their remaining stocks of SOX lamps on the M60?

If I get the chance over Christmas, I'm going to try and get some pics whilst the lamps are still fresh.

Anyway, well done HA.

SOX on the Stockport section of the M60 still alive and well as of late Jan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:00 pm 
Random avatar

When I was passing the M4 on the B3270 heading towards J11, I noticed that the central reservation columns with Lumas have been removed up to the bridges crossing the motorway at J11, due to the Smart Motorway works. I am pretty sure that they will all get removed up to J12 in the next month. I'm not too sure how far they have been removed to, most likely up to J10. I wonder if HE will install new columns when the work is done with the smart motorway?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:57 pm 
Formerly Paspie

Judging by traffic camera stills, at least some lighting from M1 J4-6a seems to be working once more. I have to take a trip there to capture footage at some point.

EDIT: Turns out its only an assortment of SON between the Sandy Lane bridge and J5.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:00 pm 
Formerly Paspie

Paianni wrote:
The columns with (mostly) MA60s on the sliproads of M25 J21/M1 J6a are being changed for new columns with LED lanterns similar to those used at M1 J6. Nothing has been done about the missing bridge deck columns. The catenary lights are still in situ, from the angle I was driving I could not tell whether they were being replaced.
The bridge deck columns have now been replaced.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:23 pm 
Random avatar

I have been over to Wales twice recently and used the Port Talbot bypass on the M4. I have noticed on the elevated section with the 50 miles per hour speed limit, the columns have been chopped off just leaving the stump.

That section of the M4 from Junction 38 to Junction 44 is the last bit of the M4 in Wales that has not been upgraded LED, unlike the section from the Severn Bridge to A48(M). So it looks like we may be getting LEDs on that section of the M4 soon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:35 pm 

It appears Highways England has abandoned the policy of part night lighting on certain parts of their network.

Quote:
Highways England switches lights back on after casualties rise
16/10/2019

Highways England has ended its controversial policy of turning off the lighting on parts of its network at night, Highways has learned.

Since 2009 the Government-owned company had operated a policy of turning off some motorway lighting between midnight and 5am on around 100 miles of its network, with some lighting not switched on at all. However, its own report on reported road casualties on the strategic road network revealed that on ‘lighting unlit’ sections, which included lighting that was non-operational for other reasons, casualties rose by 88% (from 93 to 175) between 2010 and 2017. The report points out that this is a relatively low figure, compared to the 14,225 casualties on the network as a whole during the year.

Highways England has now told Highways that it has not operated the midnight switch-off strategy since 2018 and does not operate switch-off anywhere on the network. It said this was because it is now installing LED lighting.

Head of road safety Richard Leonard said: ‘Safety is our top priority. On our roads we light what needs to be lit, and we know where those locations are. We have a greater understanding of where night-time collisions occur and the impact road lighting would have. This means we can target lighting where it is needed, rather than putting lights everywhere. ‘We are absolutely committed to further reducing deaths and injuries on England’s motorways and major A roads. This will require a concerted effort and investment over the long term.’

A Highways England spokesperson said that where lighting is unlit, this could be because it is awaiting replacement, removal or repair. all of which could require disruptive works. It says that when lighting reaches the end of its life, safety risk assessments are carried out to determine whether it is needed. If there is no case to keep it, it will be decommissioned and the money saved spent on ‘far more effective safety measures many of which benefit motorists 24 hours per day, not just during the hours of darkness’. Around two-thirds of Highways England’s network has never had lighting installed. The company said that data ‘suggests that you are more likely to be involved in a casualty incident on a lit section of road’. However, this could reflect the fact that lighting is more likely to be installed on more dangerous sections of the network.

Interesting the suggestion that they haven't operated part night lighting since 2018, as I'm pretty sure M27 J7-8 was going off at midnight right until when it was ripped out earlier this year, and a couple of weeks ago I saw signs on the M25 suggesting that part night lighting was still in place.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:04 am 
Site Administration

Typical non scientific statistical press release, from a flawed analysis, probably carried out by someone without the right level of expertise.

It is quite likely that traffic levels have increased between 2010 and 2017, so that even if the accident rate remained constant, the number of casualties would have risen.

There is no break down of the severity of the casualties, if they were minor, would the increased cost and carbon impact of the lighting be justified? Given the increased safety and suitability of cars in accidents, I doubt it.

This is just the type of misinformation that should be challenged with a Freedom of Information request.

I agree with your comment about M25 part night lighting, signs in the NW quadrant were still there in earlier in 2019 saying part night - unless HE were too lazy to take them down.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:33 pm 

Even when signs are on temporary A-frames, like those warning of part night lighting were/are, Highways England's contractors are very poor at removing redundant signage. A bit like uneven road signs left up after roads have been resurfaced. Even when they take the signs down, they often just chuck the A-frames in the verge because they are too lazy to put them on the back of the truck.

The lighting on M25 junctions 16 to 23 is in a very poor state of repair. The lighting here was installed in the couple of years leading up to the 2012 Olympics when the motorway was widened, and it looks like perhaps it has only had one round of lamp replacements at best. Lots of it isn't working, whether this be failed lamps or cable faults, of which cable faults seem to be a common issue for any motorway lighting installed in the last 10-15 years. Another fault with their lighting stock is that the installers seem to have had issues tightening brackets, because a high number have spun round and now light the verges.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:05 am 
Random avatar

I’ve noticed up here other than the A19 and A69 which are DBFO schemes, the other roads which fall under the jurisdiction of Highways England the lighting is in poor condition. On junctions leading up north of Scotch Corner of which very few are lit, numerous lanterns are out and have been for some months, likewise the A1 Western Bypass, on the Newcastle stretch there is a fault lighting only a selection of columns up, this has been the case for months too. It also appears that vehicle knockdowns seem to be taking a lot longer to replace and in most case years. I think this has got a lot worse since Amey took over the lighting maintenance on these roads from Colas. They have been replacing some SON MRL6s and their columns on the A1/A184 junction which was done by Amey but the MRL6s had been out of action since the widening scheme.  Presumably their feed was removed when the road was widened and never reinstated as new ducts and a new pillar were also installed.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:17 pm 
Site Administration

Smart motorways works on the M23 has seen all of the legacy lighting removed at its interchange with the M25.

New verge lighting has been installed, but at the moment it is limited to a much shorter distance - just the slips themselves. The scene today in atrocious weather - dash cam image.

Profile  Personal album