It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:18 pm 
Random avatar

mazeteam wrote:
I don't know, but I found these two pics with them in view. In the foreground are the only 'new' trains to the Northern fleet (formerly (First) North Western, and Northern Spirit/Arriva) for over 15 years

the lanterns look in better condition than the spanwire poles!

http://timblazey.fotopic.net/p56418324.html
http://timblazey.fotopic.net/p56418323.html

Yeah, they're in good condition compared to the lanterns nearer to Enfield Road/Devonshire Road bridge. I agree those spanwires and, indeed, columns are badly rusted and how much longer they'll last, I really don't know! It would be a real shame if they did go though  :(

Quote:
edit: gramma6, if you're round the station, keep an eye out for a foreigner
http://northernrailways.co.uk/forum/dow ... php?id=235
it's been nicknamed "bingo"!

Is that a Stagecoach train? I pass the station quite often on the bus so I'll keep em peeled!  :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:44 am 

that train's from South West Trains... it was with East Midlands for a while, but has passed temporarily to Northern for some reason...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:26 am 
Site Administration

At the risk of drifting off the core subject of this topic, the SWT 158 was on loan to Northern and EMT to cover for the latters units being in works for refurbishment.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:32 pm 
Random avatar

Bury St Edmunds station used to have fluorescent lighting like this with the station name stencilled on the bowls. Top entry lanterns under the platform awnings, and column mounted post top horizontal fluorescent beyond the covered platform areas. It's all been replaced by odious Urbis Albanys.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:56 pm 
Site Administration

Guildford station car park is lit with GEC Turtles, both Z8526s and older Z8426s.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:40 pm 
Site Administration

I hadn't realised until browsing a railway magazine over the weekend, that Reading station still retains fluorescent platform lighting on Abacus fold down columns. The lighting appears to be at the platform ends where there is no canopy both at the east and west ends of the station, with the more usual ZX1s on twin brackets also being used.

They appear to be similar to the GEC Z8288 but with a different spigot. The bowls are clear rather than opaque and some have "Reading" on their bowls. I had assumed a busy station such as this would have long lost its fluorescent platform lighting. The imminent station rebuild will however see their demise.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:20 pm 

Until last year, Hull still had two or three fluorescent platform lanterns too.

It'd be good to see if those Reading ones can be saved, or at least pictured at ground level.

Here's a pic I found of one sitting on the abandoned platform at Bridlington:
http://www.paulbigland.fotopic.net/p65975596.html
and an old school photo back in the day:
http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/ ... p?id=22476

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:34 am 
Site Administration

Phosco152 wrote:
I hadn't realised until browsing a railway magazine over the weekend, that Reading station still retains fluorescent platform lighting on Abacus fold down columns. The lighting appears to be at the platform ends where there is no canopy both at the east and west ends of the station, with the more usual ZX1s on twin brackets also being used.

They appear to be similar to the GEC Z8288 but with a different spigot. The bowls are clear rather than opaque and some have "Reading" on their bowls. I had assumed a busy station such as this would have long lost its fluorescent platform lighting. The imminent station rebuild will however see their demise.

A picture here, taken at the London end of the station, looking from north to south.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:39 pm 
Site Administration

First Great Western seem to be doing a bit of a MH for SON swap.

Westbury station now has CDO-TT lamps in the ZX3s lighting the platform. Under the canopies the SON bulkheads are also now running MH.

Bath again has CDO-TT lamps in the platform ZX1s and the (former) SON downlighters under the canopy are also now running MH.

Oldfield Park however has elliptical coated MH lamps in the ZX1s, where as Bristol Temple Meads has CDO-TT in the platform ZX1s, with fluorescent lighting still in use under the canopies.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:52 pm 

Most South Yorkshire railway stations are fitted with Urbis Saturns but they have (at Thorne North) been replaced by ZX3's running either SON or MH. There is even a couple of porch type bulkheads running on PL-T on the footbridge at Thorne North. Thorne South: Phillips 201's running SON but the two near to the barrow crossing run MH I think.

Along route SY4 (orange line) they still retain the Saturns where as along route SY2 (magenta line) there a mixture of Phillips 201's? and ZX3's. Route SY3 (blue line) are primarily fitted with Saturns although the majority run SON. Penistone is kitted out with a mixture of MH and SON. Route SY1 (green line) same mixture as route SY2 but with the exception at Kirk Sandall.

The Pontefract Line (or how I call it route WY9) is fitted with MH running Phillips lanterns, I have forgotten the code but Mazeteam knows what they look like as they was one in the Poppleton depot. Dearne Valley Line (WY3) well the lanterns, ZX3's are way too low unless they double up as automated gritting devices during winter I nearly clattered me bonce when I went and inspected the station to see the new lanterns. Illkley the same lantern as Garforth on the York and Selby Lines (WY12).

Darn Sarf in Sussex, Horsham is fitted with ZX3's on the exposed parts but fluorescent tubes (T8's?) are used under the canopies. Amberley, Billingshurst, Warnham and Worthing are fitted with ZX3's running MH (well the ones at Amberley were). Off topic but close to the railway station at Horsham the GEC Fishbowl is still standing proud even though it runs SON, I'd love to see it run MH.

Profile  Personal album