It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Unidentified Lanterns
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:36 pm 

Here's one more from the Essex County Council "let's keep 'em going until they drop off" files.

The lantern in question is a 135w SOX lantern in Chelmsford, our County Town. It is the only one of its kind that I have knowingly spotted to date (I guess I might have seen loads of them when I was a kid, but without taking any notice!). All photos were taken yesterday (22nd September 2009).

Some of you may be able to identify it just from this image. But I certainly can't!

A closer view of this impressively deep-bowled lantern, and its rather less impressive replacement (but at least it's still SOX so I can't complain!)

A final close-up shows the end of the bowl is covered in vertical ridges, which may offer a clue to its identity.

I'm going to guess it's a rare one, but can anyone identify it?

Last edited by David on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:36 pm 
Site Administration

Well the vertical groves at the end of the bowl tell us its a Phosco lantern.

Didn't you say that Colchester used to use SLI lamps in the past?

My bet is it is a Phosco P161 (scroll down) but with a deeper bowl. That type of square deep bowl I have also seen on a P157 held by a collector. It makes the lantern look completely different to a "normal" P157.

Given its up for replacement I suggest an urgent call to your contact to save it. That could well be the only example left in existence. It is extremely rare.  :shock:

Originally Posted: 24-09-2009, 04:55:42 am

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:37 pm 

I think I've seen a picture of one of these online before, and yep, I think it's a Phosco product too.

Originally Posted: 24-09-2009, 06:53:42 am

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:38 pm 
Random avatar

I think it's a Phosco P160

Very rare - definitely worth saving.

Originally Posted: 24-09-2009, 05:53:18 pm

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:39 pm 

Yep that's definitely it! Thank you all for helping identify it.

Looking at Simon Cornwell's street lighting encyclopedia, it does appear that the lantern was designed for SLI lamps, and therefore would have been converted like Colchester's GEC Z9517 and Colchester's Alpha Sixes. In fact in Simon Cornwell's write-up, he refers to the fact that the lantern could take two tubes, which may explain why the bowl is so deep!

I think there may be a chance to recover it. Although it's not on my contact's usual area, it is the adjacent area and he does occasionally get to see / work on other areas. But I'll certainly put in a request.

Knowing Essex County Council's policy, there must be a few more mystery relics around so I'll keep my eyes peeled!  My contact even claimed the other day that there were some old fluorescents still going in Chelmsford, but I haven't found them yet! I'd be really surprised if this is true, as my contact himself hasn't seen them in real life, but he is aware of them from one of those lists the checkers use when they drive around looking for faulty lanterns.

Last edited by David on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:40 pm 
Site Administration

Those fluorescents in Chelmsford must be surely residential possibly post tops, I'd be gobsmacked if they are main road lanterns!

Originally Posted: 28-09-2009, 06:01:02 pm

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:40 pm 

phosco152 wrote:
Those fluorescents in Chelmsford must be surely residential possibly post tops, I'd be gobsmacked if they are main road lanterns!

Yes, main road fluorescents would be very far-fetched, but it would be good if some more existed somewhere in the UK in addition to Haywards Heath of course. There must be some more somewhere, but there just aren't enough of us to find them!

Chelmsford is similar to Colchester and Clacton, in that its street lighting won't get removed unless it cannot be kept in service any longer - even if they have been going for more than 50 years - so those mystery fluorescents will be a find, assuming I ever find them. It would be such a disappointment if they were actually the new breed of fluorescents on his list, although I think new fluorescents in Chelmsford would be just as hard to find as old ones!

Posted: 12-10-2009, 07:19:23 pm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:42 pm 
Site Administration

David wrote:
Here's one more from the Essex County Council "let's keep 'em going until they drop off" files.

The lantern in question is a 135w SOX lantern in Chelmsford, our County Town. It is the only one of its kind that I have knowingly spotted to date (I guess I might have seen loads of them when I was a kid, but without taking any notice!). All photos were taken yesterday (22nd September 2009).

Some of you may be able to identify it just from this image. But I certainly can't!

A closer view of this impressively deep-bowled lantern, and its rather less impressive replacement (but at least it's still SOX so I can't complain!)

A final close-up shows the end of the bowl is covered in vertical ridges, which may offer a clue to its identity.

I'm going to guess it's a rare one, but can anyone identify it?

Looks like there is another P160 in your area:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/4033790121/

Original Posted: 22-10-2009, 04:57:14 pm

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:43 pm 

phosco152 wrote:
Looks like there is another P160 in your area:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/4033790121/

Ha! I knew I had seen them before!

Actually, I was completely unaware they were used in Felixstowe, and well done to Claire for spotting it.

The 'business end' of the A14 (where the port is) is always a delight to approach. You'd think the unsleeved concrete columns and 135w SOX lighting of yesteryear would have long gone given the importance of the road, but they were still some hanging on the last time I was there (admittedly a few years ago now). I think I may have to find an excuse to visit Felixstowe again!

As for Essex's P160, I did ask my guy whether he might be able to save it, but he unfortunately has no control over the area it's located in. I may still give him a photo and a column number on the off chance he gets to work in that area.

Originally Posted: 26-10-2009, 09:32:07 pm

Post subject: What's this lantern?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:38 pm 

I have found a photo on t'interweb and i ain't too sure what type of lantern it is: Here's the photo:http://www.thorne-moorends.gov.uk/events/peatlands_way.html.

Profile  Personal album