It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:34 pm 
Random avatar

Scott15 wrote:
Out of all the countys round Newcastle,Gateshead has one of the worst streetlighting systems, they take ages to carrry out repairs, half of the columns dont even numbers on and they never apply paint to any of the columns, if any one could do with a pfi its them.
Am I right in thinking they've just replaced all their SON lighting on the bypass... with more SON?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:37 pm 
Random avatar

I can think of an example in Steels Place, Edinburgh. A 5m steel hockeystick and slimline was planted next to a 15ft CU and dayburning P107 (also 35w SOX) in the 90s. It stayed like that for years until the old column was removed and the new column fitted with a ZX1. Never saw the Beta 5 lit once.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:05 pm 
Random avatar

Yep, all the SOX and SON has been replaced by 250 (SON) watt Sapphires and 150watt used on the slips, they have also replaced all the sign lighting with LED lighting, but the lighting will be getting changed again as there is a proposed 3 lane motorway, as the Western Bypass (A1) cannot cope with the current traffic of Newcastle.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:12 am 
Random avatar

All seems pretty pointless to me, why not leave the old lighting alone until the road improvements actually materialise? It's the SON for SON replacements that I really can't understand. Not only did the MRL6s have a good bit of life left in them, many had already been replaced in chunks recently... so there will be quite a few almost new Iridiums coming down needlessly. Or so I noticed on the A1 anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:24 am 

Something strange I have noticed today in York... there is a new development of houses that have replaced some prefabs on Cemetary Road. The first column on the access road to this development has a QSS on it, and is a new column. However, in the last couple of weeks another new column has sprung up about 8cm's to the right of the existing new column - and this new new column also has a QSS on the top! siamese twins! It'd confuse drunks too!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:40 am 
Random avatar

Yes the SON for SON was pointless and the iridiums that were replaced further south were installed further north to replace the flat glass MRL6s because there was only a few left but the sapphires do have a much improved optical system, compared to MRL6S

And yes mazteam, that seems stupid, they must be going to pull one column? Never seen that happen round here, but on new housing estates round here the council specify CFL, yet when they do replacements they use 70watt SON.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:01 am 

The only possible reason I can think for the situation I have described above is that there may be an underground service that needs to go under where the column to be removed is.

As for casual replacements... The Bishophill area of York is a nicely lit area. It was (up until about 3 months ago) lit mainly by glass bowled GEC Z5580's with mercury lamps - with casual replacements being unusual in that WRTL 2600's running 24w PL-L lamps were specified... as normally any casual replacement would see a SON lantern installed. 24w PL-L gives out pretty much equal light to the average light output from a mercury lamp - and so the light on these streets is nicely balanced. The Z5580's have been replaced with thorn Jets - the Jets are running 42w Pl-T fluorescent lamps, and so the area is still white light... but one cast iron column now has a new replacement alongside waiting for connection, and that has a QSS on top. If the QSS has a CDM lamp inside then things will be fine (just a third variant of a white light source), but if it has a SON lamp in there then it will look terrible.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:07 am 
Random avatar

Well round here they have not done much with the lighting stock apart from fit metal halide Sapphires in Consett town centre, casual replacements are either silver Sapphires, Iridiums, ZX3s and refitted secondhand lanterns. Most roads are well lit but with SON being the main light source.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:59 pm 
Random avatar

The new Iridiums installed run SON, I don't know why to be honest, since they've used white light elsewhere, its just stupid, however there is a good spread of light on the road.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:38 am 
Random avatar

In 2006, a whole estate in Fleetwood was relit with white light, MH WRTL Vectras on the roads and CFL WRTL Pathfinders in the alleyways. Gradually some of these Vectras have been fitted with SON lamps but the weirdest thing is on Stanley Road, where a concrete column with MH Vectra was randomly casually replaced with a metal column fitted with a 2600 running SON in 2008. At the end of last year another metal column popped up next to that column fitted with a Vectra. 'Ok', I thought to myself 'a bit wasteful to fit a whole new column for the Vectra but at least this might be MH.' Wrong! I saw it lit for the first time the other night and it runs SON. I'd like to know what the point in all that replacing was! Also, why wasn't MH used in either of the casual replacements? Mind-boggling!  :roll: